DCL 3-night Itinerary Question

RBooth425

Hi All!

My family and I (husband and 4year old daughter) just booked our first DCL cruise for 3nights to the caribbean. We are currently booked on the Wonder with an Itinerary that just goes to Castaway Cay and back from Port Canaveral (1 full day at sea). I was wondering if it would be a better option to switch to the Dream (leaving the next day) for a 3nt itinerary stopping in Nassau and Castaway Cay.

Your thoughts are very much appreciated!

You booked the right one. My logic--I prefer the classic ships to the bigger, newer ones. To be fair, the newer ones have electronic features that the classics don't, but at age 4 your child doesn't care about those. I like the smaller, more cozy, more friendly atmosphere of the classics. Nassau is nothing to be excited about. I'd much prefer a sea day to a day in Nassau and there will be many more activities on the ship if it is scheduled as a sea day.

I guess part of it depends on your perspective. We view the ship as a destination in itself, to be enjoyed and the time on board to be great. If you view the ship as floating transportation to various ports, you might prefer to not have on board time. A 3 night cruise is only 2 1/2 days. I'd happily take one of those as a sea day. But to be fair, I love 14 night trans-Atlantic cruises where we have lots of sea days. A sea day is time to spend on board with your child, more time to see characters, do family activities that are scheduled on board, and just relax.

Another point--if there is anything that you particularly want to book on the ship or on Castaway Cay, your chances of an opening are better on the Wonder with fewer people. I'm thinking of things like Palo brunch or such. Castaway will also be much less crowded--the island is the same size whether there are 2500 or 4000 guests there for the day! Final thought--I'm guessing the Wonder cruise costs less as the classics are normally a little lower in price.

Stick with the Wonder and the full day at sea for a 3 day cruise, instead of the Dream. We have done both. Personally we like the sea day to explore and enjoy the ship.

We'd do the Dream on a 4 day, though (again, a sea day).

In my mind, it's a toss-up. The Wonder has the day at sea with more on-board programming for that day compared to the Dream with a day in Nassau. (Totally agree with moki'smommy that staying on the ship is the way to go.) On the Dream, many will enter Nassau, so areas like the pool will be very quiet until people come back aboard later in the day. In contrast, the pool areas will be hopping on the Wonder while at sea.

One more thing, I think the little kids' pool area is much better on the Wonder than the Dream. There is a lot more variety. Also, more big kids seem to invade the kid pool on the Dream (maybe because you can see the movies on the big screen?) than on the Wonder.

Funny, we were just talking about this here in New Zealand! We went on the 3 night itinerary on the Dream for Nassau and Castaway Cay in Oct 2014. Unfortunately Hurricane Joaquin came in and we missed Nassau - having a day at sea instead. It was great. Gave us time to enjoy the ship and relax. Whichever way, enjoy Disney CL is awesome

It is a toss up. My family and I prefer the big ship cruising experience over the smaller ships, but I wouldn't change just to port in Nassau. Castaway Cay is the best port of call in the Caribbean right now, and you'll enjoy the day at sea aboard the Wonder. I wouldn't make the effort to change at this point. The Wonder is a good way to "get your feet wet" (pun intended), before hoping aboard the Dream for a 5-night cruise with a double-dip at Castaway Cay next!

We were on the 4/6 Wonder, and were SUPPOSED to stop at Nassau but didn't because there was a passenger overboard on a Carnival ship and the Wonder had to assist with search efforts. We ended up with a day at sea instead, and I didn't hear one complaint about it. We've cruised to Nassau probably 7 times, and haven't gotten off the ship the last four times. You're much better off at sea... Enjoy!