Tokens at the Dockyard?!

BuckeyeLotus

Can you still buy tokens for the bus/ferry at the dockyard? Someone told me they were no longer available. We are at the Royal Dockyard next week, if I can't get tokens there for the bus what are my options? Thanks!

He read it on tripadvisor on Bermuda Public Transportation, it says,

"--DOCKYARD VISITORS INFORMATION CENTRE at the '..TOURS..' kiosk, located near the landward-end of the King's/Heritage Wharf cruise ship pier (**NOT** to be confused with 'private' Dockyard-Horseshoe Bay mini-bus service pass) Tokens and multi-day passes will no longer be available at the dockyard VICs. You can only get one-day pass ($19) at dockyard. However you can continue to pay bus and ferry fares by cash in exact change (coins only). "

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g147255-s303/Bermuda:Caribbean:Public.Transportation.html

Perhaps it is outdated?

"--DOCKYARD VISITORS INFORMATION CENTRE at the '..TOURS..' kiosk, located near the landward-end of the King's/Heritage Wharf cruise ship pier (**NOT** to be confused with 'private' Dockyard-Horseshoe Bay mini-bus service pass) Tokens and multi-day passes will no longer be available at the dockyard VICs. You can only get one-day pass ($19) at dockyard. However you can continue to pay bus and ferry fares by cash in exact change (coins only). "

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g147255-s303/Bermuda:Caribbean:Public.Transportation.html

Perhaps it is outdated?

I read that a few months ago somewhere here on Cruise Critic, but I can no longer remember where. As a result, I've been under the impression that we could not buy travel passes at the dockyard.

Perhaps it is outdated?

I read that a few months ago somewhere here on Cruise Critic, but I can no longer remember where. As a result, I've been under the impression that we could not buy travel passes at the dockyard.

That article describes what they proposed to do in 2016, but an outcry here and on TripAdvisor caused them to reverse that plan and go back to selling one day and two day passes as well as tokens.

I know it was the outcry from travelers, because one of my posts here after the announcements was even quoted in the Bermuda press. We made a stink about it, and it worked.

That article describes what they proposed to do in 2016, but an outcry here and on TripAdvisor caused them to reverse that plan and go back to selling one day and two day passes as well as tokens.

I know it was the outcry from travelers, because one of my posts here after the announcements was even quoted in the Bermuda press. We made a stink about it, and it worked.

Thanks for the clarification. That article can really be confusing if unaware of its history.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks so much for the clarification! So glad to hear it was reversed. How confusing.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I just saw in the listed fares on the web that kids prices go up to age 16. That is awesome! We don't plan to use the transportation too much, and were just going to do tokens. Those are the same price for kids and adults though. We will now do a 1 day pass, since the kids rates make it cheaper.

I just saw in the listed fares on the web that kids prices go up to age 16. That is awesome! We don't plan to use the transportation too much, and were just going to do tokens. Those are the same price for kids and adults though. We will now do a 1 day pass, since the kids rates make it cheaper.

Understand that the 1 day Transportation Pass is not valid for 24 hours. It is valid for the day you first use it, and it expires at mid-night of the same day whether you first use it at 8am or 5pm.

SBtS

Understand that the 1 day Transportation Pass is not valid for 24 hours. It is valid for the day you first use it, and it expires at mid-night of the same day whether you first use it at 8am or 5pm.

SBtS

Yes, I assumed it was only good for the day purchased. [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Yes, I assumed it was only good for the day purchased. [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Actually the date is punched at the first use, on a ferry or bus, that starts it, and then is valid until midnight of that day if it is a one day pass, midnight of the next day if it is a two day pass. So you can buy a pass in advance of the day you will use it.

Actually the date is punched at the first use, on a ferry or bus, that starts it, and then is valid until midnight of that day if it is a one day pass, midnight of the next day if it is a two day pass. So you can buy a pass in advance of the day you will use it.

Great.

It seems to simple. Buy the pass. Use the pass. (Which is still my plan, by the way: Head to the beach, head back to the ship. Head to Harbour Nights party, head back to the ship. Done!)

Tokens are not the same price for kids and adults. There are lower child rates for tokens for 5-15 as there are for that age group for the passes.

Just to warn you if you take the bus to the beach and back you might have to wait for a bus. You might have to stand. There might not be AC. I have already read reports from this season of all the above when there are two ships docked. There has been overcrowding. I used to buy the passes but when they discontinued the Special beach bus that took pressure off the system I switched to the minibus for beach trips.

Edited by Charles4515

Tokens are not the same price for kids and adults. There are lower child rates for tokens for 5-15 as there are for that age group for the passes.

Just to warn you if you take the bus to the beach and back you might have to wait for a bus. You might have to stand. There might not be AC. I have already read reports from this season of all the above when there are two ships docked. There has been overcrowding. I used to buy the passes but when they discontinued the Special beach bus that took pressure off the system I switched to the minibus for beach trips.

That's good to know about the tokens! That might change things. I was going by the info on the Government of Bermuda website - https://www.gov.bm/bus-fares. I guess now I'll know that it can't be trusted. Thanks!

We had originally planned to use the minibus to the beach. Our transportation costs without the daily pass, and using the minibus, would have been $69 for that day. If buying a day pass and using the regular bus for the beach trip, our transportation costs for the day would be $47.50. Now, since you pointed out that the info on the government's page is wrong, that might make the original plans cost a little less, so we will see what we want to do. For us, we plan on and accept the crowds, or we'd do a land trip elsewhere instead of a cruise to Bermuda during the America's Cup. :)