Exceptions to the "All Adults in Same Cabin" Must Participate in Cheers Program

beofotch

In this case, the pregnant woman purchased it with the intention of drinking.

She doesn't have to drink alcohol. She could be snarfing down 15 coffees a day. Until the little over caffeinated hellion in her belly starts beating her like a bass drum.

Originally posted by Boston Mom
I've always heard that Carnival is pretty much no exceptions to this rule. I have a relative with Type 1 diabetes. She doesn't drink at all, because of her diabetes, but her husband does and wanted to get Cheers for just himself for their last cruise, and buy the Bottomless Bubbles for her as she does like juices. They called the cruise line and were told that even with a doctor's note for her, absolutely no exceptions. He ended up just buying his drinks a la carte - which probably ended up being cheaper as he isn't a big drinker either.

I have to say that I can totally agree with their policy of no exceptions, because once you make one exception, where do you draw the line? If it was me I would just book one room for mom and dad, and another for grandma and the kids. Problem solved.

I feel like it would be pretty clear where to draw the line...a medical exemption based on documentation from a doctor that the person is unable to drink. I highly doubt a doctor will risk their medical license to commit fraud so their patient can share a drink package instead of paying for two.

Carnival doesn't allow exemptions not because it would be too difficult to implement, but because they'll lose money by not forcing people to buy for every adult in the room.

One would think - but I work in the medical field and there are doctors out there that will write basically anything their family and friends need, or for the right price. I've seen notes saying that Rover has to go absolutely everywhere with the owner because Rover is a "service dog" - when the person has no medical or emotional issues whatsoever and Rover is completely untrained and undisciplined. I have seen notes saying that little Suzie needs a single dorm room in college because of "medical issues" - when Suzie just wants a big room to herself. I have seen notes saying someone is "totally disabled and cannot work" when the person is perfectly fine to go out golfing every day. I can totally see some doctors writing a fake note for a friend, or for someone on their staff, so a couple can both drink on a cruise with only buying one package.

Not saying that I agree with Carnival's policy on this - but I can see why they feel that they can't make exceptions to it.

She doesn't have to drink alcohol. She could be snarfing down 15 coffees a day. Until the little over caffeinated hellion in her belly starts beating her like a bass drum.

Or those milkshakes...oh dang ;)