Fort Lauderdale, Hyatt Pier 66?

sail7seas

Has anyone stayed there since they did their renovations? Since Hurricane Wilma?

What condition did you find it in? Everything operating fine? Is the new Pool open?

Thanks if you have any information.

Thanks. I looked there briefly this afternoon and didn't see anything about Pier 66.

We have stayed in that hotel dozens of times through the years. I am interested in its condition since their renovations and since the hurricane.

sail - the comments on the hotel board have not been encouraging. Sounds as though the renovations have been fairly disruptive. I didn't read those comments until after I had booked them thru priceline over the weekend. Was able to get it for $150 a nite for Jan 20 and 21 prior to our Volendam trip.

Am thinking I may contact Hyatt corporate and suggest they look at the comments being posted and take action to correct things as I know they do a lot of pre-cruise business and I wouldn't think they'd want those types of reports out there.

Am keeping my fingers crossed that thru that effort and an additional 9 weeks to work on renovations prior to our stay, that we will have a positive experience there.

I`m sure they have a web site or toll free number where you could get info. I know you always stay there, perhaps you have their number among your papers from them............jean:cool:

:) Yes, Jean. I have their telephone number to the Bellman's Stand and to the front desk.

I am looking for unbiased comments by guests.....not the PR that is the 'official' response being given to people they are hoping will continue to frequent their property.

Best people to ask are those who may have checked in and slept there recently. At least IMO that is the best chance of getting an honest evaluation from a guest's perspective.

Michmike:

Thank you.

We are booked for the same two nights as well as post cruise when we disembark VODM.

I think they can do a lot of work in the nine weeks until we are scheduled to be there.

I'll go back to the Hotel Section and look again for the comments about which you refer.

My wife and I stayed there on Nov. 4th. Had a very nice stay. We used priceline. We were not in a tower room but they have brand new rooms (actually we were the first to ever stay in our particular room) around the pool that is a long way from being finished. Lots of damage from the hurricane. We ate at a restaurant just off site called Pier 66 steakhouse that was awesome, the steak was even better than the steaks in the Pinnacle grill on the Zuiderdam. Highly reccommend it. Only 4 minute cab ride to ships. We really wish we had one more day because the boat show was postponed to when we were there and we never used ther water taxis like we would have liked. Damage to interior of hotel was not apparent at all even though they were without power for most of a week. Beds were pillowtop mattresses with down comforters!

They will take u in a golf cart to the restaurant. Normally the restarant is jacket required and very hard to get reservation but they were really hurting after the hurricane that they lowered the dress standard because of all the loss of business. Larry

Hi,

We stayed at the Hyatt Nov. 3-9. I realize it was only 2 wks after the hurricane, but we had such a lousy experience that Priceline refunded half of our stay after they spoke with Pier 66. When we checked in, we were given a room in the lanai section. We walked thru construction debris and around fenced off construction areas. The pool looks like someone bombed it. The room they gave us was full of mildew, smelled really bad, and had patio furuniture (table & chairs) stacked in the corner. Pulled back the drapes and much to our dismay, the patio door was replaced with plywood. We called the front desk and asked to be moved. They only had smoking rooms available and it was late, so we moved. They did promise to move us again the following day. The second room not only smelled of smoke (of course), but of mildew as well. We tried to plug the tv in and it sparked and blew the outlet. They moved us the next day into a renovated room, which was better, however it had not been cleaned since the renovation. There was drywall dust, caulk, etc. everywhere. Our feet were black from the floor. Asked housekeeping twice to clean it and it never changed. Be aware that even when the renovations are complete, some of the lanai rooms will not have patios or balconies. I would not book there again until sure the renovations are totally completed, not just the pool. Hope this helps.

Linda

Thanks for all of your comments.

We have stayed at Pier 66 dozens of times through the years and some of these negative postings really make me sad.

We have always loved that hotel and I feel sure they will bring it back to how it always has been but it seems they have a long way to go.

Depending upon the size of their work crews and how hard/fast they are working, we may decide to stay elsewhere.

I think we'll contact some friends of ours down there and seek their opinion. (Hopefully from early to November to end of January, they have made progress on getting things straightened out.)

I have never cared for the lanai rooms. We only stay in the Tower. Just our personal preference.

Thanks everyone for sharing your opinions.

Yep, we had a terrible room in the Lanai section on November 5. Had I know there were nicer rooms, I would have asked for another room.

It was moldy, dirty, run down, and smelled of smoke.

It is really sad. I should contact Expedia and let them know. We paid $200 and felt ripped off.

We paid $105 thru priceline & felt ripped off. I've been in 2* motels that were better (at least they were clean). I've written to Hyatt, but have not received a reply yet. I thought if I filled out their comment card at the hotel, it would have found its way to the circular file.

We were there 2wks. after the hurricane. They hadn't cleaned up much from the hurricane, still lots of broken windows, etc. We had only been there for dinner in the revolving restaurant and we had not stayed there before.

We were there 2wks. after the hurricane. They hadn't cleaned up much from the hurricane, still lots of broken windows, etc. We had only been there for dinner in the revolving restaurant and we had not stayed there before.

Hmm.....:confused: I think you might be confused. I think the revolving roof top is a bar. Gorgeous views of the city; wonderful place to watch 'sailaways'.....at least it used to be.

The renovations underway at the hotel call for it to be converted to function space and will no longer be used as the large bar. :(

Hard to say how much clean up had been done before you got there. Imagine that it may have actually been so very bad that they had been working very hard at clean up and what you found was after two weeks of clean up.....with, obviously, more to do. Remember there was no power. Port Everglades was closed due to no power for days and days. We sailed out of Canaveral because Volendam could not come into Port Everglades on October 26. When we came to Everglades at the end of our cruise, we were there with Zuiderdam. We had power in our terminal. ZUDM had to power the terminal they were at rather than the terminal having their own power. This was 2 weeks after the hurricane.

Thanks for the info.

Archived