Sunbathing weather on a Westbound transatlantic crossing? 24th - 31st May

gibbetygibb

Hi Everyone,

I know the weather can vary massively on a crossing and be very unpredictable. I wondered if you ever tend to get any days that are at least sunny enough to lie out in the sun or use the pool? Will the pools be open?

I have quite a good threshold for being able to lie out in weather that others may deem too cold, so I'm just trying to gauge if it's likely to be a possibility for our holiday. Part of the fun of 7 sea days is relaxing by the pool!

From my experience there will be at least some days where people will be lying in the deckchairs. The pools are open except in very bad weather on every crossing.

I had some very warm days on a November crossing. You indeed never know.

I will be on this crossing with you by the way. We shall see...

You may be lucky and get one or two days true "sunbathing" weather. Some other days you may see one or two brave souls in the outside pools, with several others on the sunloungers around the pools, but fully dressed rather than soaking up the rays for a tan. This is the north Atlantic ;) .

However, the Deck 12 Pavilion Pool is covered by a glass roof (can be opened in really hot weather) and is one of my favourite spots on a crossing, good for a dip (pool or hot tubs), great for reading a good book on one of the loungers, good bar in one corner.

As others have said, the pools are normally open except in the roughest of sea conditions.

Bon Voyage :) !

Edited by pepperrn

Just returned yesterday from May 8th-15th west-bound crossing on the QM2.

The temps were in the 60's most days. We had two nice sunny days and the rest were mostly cloudy. We were able to use the outside hot tubs on the stern terrace deck 8 all but 2 bad weather days. On those 2 rough and excessively windy days we used the indoor pool and hot tubs on deck 12. This area has a glass ceiling that offers plenty of sunlight.

Harold Green