First time P&O on my own with 2 kids, Azura to Fjords, - lots of questions please!

CruisingSarah

Good morning!

It's a while since I've been on the boards and I'm wondering if any one can help me out with a few questions.

I've cruised plenty in the past but not for a few years now and this cruise will be my first as a single mum. I'm taking my son aged 12 and his friend also 12. I thought that a ship would be the perfect environment for two boys to be fully occupied!

We're sailing Azura to the Fjords in the upcoming May half term week.

Firstly can anyone tell me about coming by rail from Southampton Central to the port? I'm happy to take the train but once you arrive at the station is it easy enough to get a taxi to the port? or can you pre-book? If this is going to be really difficult I have the option to take a coach transfer but it's slower and more expensive or to drive.

Can anyone tell me the likely bed configuration? We have a deluxe balcony, it's a guarantee and hasn't been assigned yet. I am wondering if the third bed will be a sofa or drop down bunk? Ideally I'd like the beds made up as a queen and have a sofa with drop down bunk in the lounge area, is this ever an option on Azura? Also is there a dividing curtain between the main bed and the sofa area?

Are the 2 formal nights likely to be the first and last sea days?

What is the cover charge in the speciality restaurants and would you recommend them? I don't know what my dining will be yet as it hasn't been assigned. I'm hoping I get late or flexi.

Has anyone any experience of 12 year olds in the kids club? I'm not that optimistic as they are right on the age limit and would probably be better in the next age category but I'm guessing P&O are strict and won't allow a move so we will see.

What excursions would you recommend or recommend to avoid?!

Which ports are easy to DIY?

Thanks so much for any answers or any advice at all, I'd be most grateful.

I will try and find a roll call and the kids thread to see if I can find any more info.

Sarah

Hi Sarah,

We are on the same cruise as you. It's our first cruise - for all of us - so I can't help answer your questions. I'm very interested in the other people's answers though!

Our son and daughter are coming with us. They are 12 and 9, so there'll be at least one other 12 yr old boy there! I am also a bit concerned about the children's club being a bit young for him, but I don't think I want him with older teenagers either! He's usually happy to muck in with his sister though when on holiday. We normally holiday independently so this is a complete change for us.

Kirsty

Hi Sarah

Just back from our Norwegian Fjords cruise on the Azura- absolutely fabulous, I have written a "live from" on this thread so hope it might help.

Taxis are easy from the station.

Formal nights are sea for first one and the night before sea day for the 2nd.

Speciality restaurants are £28 or £30 and I believe they may do an offer on the first day for booking. I highly recommend Sindhi, food is amazing. We weren't so impressed over with Epicurean but many are so might have been an off night for us.

All ports are easy enough to do on your own. We did the glacier one to Brinksdal which was very expensive for what it was but enjoyable none the less.

Don't do the hoho bus in Bergen it is easy to walk around and to take the funicular.

Can't answer any questions about the kids club though.

Enjoy your cruise

Cheers

Pat

Has anyone any experience of 12 year olds in the kids club? I'm not that optimistic as they are right on the age limit and would probably be better in the next age category but I'm guessing P&O are strict and won't allow a move so we will see.

My son was 12 when we cruised the fjords and the kids club was brilliant. He was a bit concerned about being separated from his older sister, but he had a whale of a time. Yes, P&O are strict about people staying in their age groups, partly because they have limits on numbers, especially during school holiday cruises. However, the activities are very age appropriate, the kids club staff are great at finding different things for the children to do and including people who may feel a bit left out. If the numbers in the club are small in the evenings because of children being with their families/at dinner/at entertainment, they sometimes merge the 9-12 and 13-17 groups but again ensure the activities are appropriate (disco, karaoke, talent show, films, quizzes, etc.). My problem was getting said son out of the club for meals/to spend time with us!

What excursions would you recommend or recommend to avoid?!.

We had a bad experience on the "Troll Road" excursion, partly because thick mist/low cloud in the morning meant we could not see most of the highlights we were supposed to. I know that can't be helped, but as a full day excursion it was also very long. We left at 9 sharp, didn't get lunch until 3.30 pm and then had to rush that to get back to the ship. We should have had time to look round Alesund and didn't, they were taking up the gangways as our coach pulled up on the quay! The worst bit was our guide who was Slovenian, didn't speak good English and just repeated the same things over and over again. The problem was she was never silent, even though she had nothing new to say.

Which ports are easy to DIY?.

Stavanger - just a short walk from where the ship docks there is a Petroleum Museum. It's a lot more interesting than it sounds, my two really enjoyed it. You dock right in the town, so you can walk round the Old Town, Cathedral etc.

Olden - just a very small village, but if you don't do an organised tour there's a little road train that runs round and walks in the area. You can DIY the trip to the Briksdal Glacier rather than doing the ship's excursion, there has been a very recent thread about it.

Bergen - depending where you dock you can either walk into town, or the ship provides a shuttle. You get dropped off by a central square and from there it's a short walk to the fish market, historic wharf area, shops, museums and funicular.

Have a lovely time!

The "four berth" versions of this type of cabin are twin beds (which may be pushed together and form a Queen size bed) plus a sofa bed which will convert into a double bed. The latter is not as good a quality as the proper bed. The question is whether two twelve year old boys be suitable for the sofabed while you are in a Queen size? Alternatively you go in the sofabed and the boys have twins. Otherwise you will be in a single.

Children's club are strict about the age ranges in the club and the boys will need signing in and out by you. They can no longer self-sign at this age. They also have to wear wrist bands with their muster station on. Many discretely discard the bands as they are well over the top at this age. I have assumed you are getting some sort of parental consent to travel for the friend.

Regards John

The standard arrangement for age groups in the "Reef" children's clubs is: "Splashers" 2 -4, "Surfers" 5 -8 and "Scubas" 9 - 12. The teenager section, 13 -17 is not regarded as part of the "Reef" but is part of the children's clubs. Should disproportionate numbers of a specific age range be booked in on a cruise they will change the ranges e.g. should if loads of 5 - 8 year olds be booked in they might redesignate the age range to 8 - 12. Where this is done it is because the cruise line wants to do it to assist the overall running of the club system not because one parent wants to get both siblings in the same section.

Regards John