Rotterdam stateroom 1856?

ann1bell

Hello, Hal experts! I am thinking of booking Rotterdam 1856 for the Netherlands to Boston 2018 Voyage of the Vikings. It is one of the sideways cabins, I have researched here and cannot find any info. Anyone with an opinion or other info? Thanks so much.

I can't confirm that J-1856 is one of the 'sideways' cabins. If it is the virtual tour on the HAL website is showing the wrong room, but that has happened with the other 'sideways' cabins.

I will say that it is well located near midship, with passenger cabins above; I don't know what is below it.

I have stayed in 'sideways' cabins many times on the S- & R-class ships, including the Rotterdam. I love them! They tend to be wider than other insides, by about the width of a nightstand. That makes the distance from the couch to the desk area greater, making movement through so much easier when someone else is sitting there.

The closet areas are separated, so two people can be at their own closet at the same time. Closets do not interfere with access to/from the bathroom.

As far as I can determine, there are two (minor) negatives about the 'sideways' cabins:

The bathroom opens directly to the main part of the cabin, so the light will shine on the other sleeper during the night. I bring a flashlight, which would solve that problem.

The other is that there is no curtain near the passageway door, so if someone is going out/coming in when the other is dressing :o. The solution is to speak up when one is leaving, or knock when coming in. Easy.

Hope this helps.