Leaving cooler cabinet door open worked! Great tip!

jayscore

As suggested, I left the cooler cabinet door open, and it worked so well, I abandoned my second ice bucket! the rest of the cruise. Our liquids were in the neighborhood of 45 degrees! *

(Mind you, this is the first time we arrived with the fridge emptied,)

*And yes, I did have a IR thermometer! :)

We do the same thing, always leave the refrigerator door open, and ask the room steward to not close the door. Closing the door traps heat in. Leaving the door opens allows the air to circulate. In a few plus hours our Jell-O shots set.

Been doing this for years. Never understood why the wooden door was there in the first place

It used to be that you had to ask the steward to unlock that door. Now that they leave the fridge empty, there's no reason for that door, it seems.

I wish you would've gotten a temp. reading on the inside of the fridge cabinet (but outside the fridge). Curious how warm it actually is in there. I knew right away those little fridges were struggling to keep up. Ours had a few vent slots cut into the side of the cabinet, but they aren't doing much good. If the whole purpose was to lock them in the past, then they might as well just remove the doors now.

Don't mean to deviate from the thread topic, but I noticed your avatar and have to ask. What did you think of the Sea Trek? We plan on doing it in St. Thomas on our next one and are looking forward to it. I went to the Coral World Ocean Park website and it says they sell photo packages with their Sea Trek excursion. Does that mean we can't take our own GoPro down with us?

As suggested, I left the cooler cabinet door open, and it worked so well, I abandoned my second ice bucket! the rest of the cruise. Our liquids were in the neighborhood of 45 degrees! *

(Mind you, this is the first time we arrived with the fridge emptied,)

*And yes, I did have a IR thermometer! :)

Been doing that too after learning it here on CC.

Yup. It works. Those systems normally have a cooling capacity such as 30 degrees below room temp. If the cabinet door is closed the heat builds up reducing cooling capacity.

Thanks for this tip! Don't know how I've never come across this information before? I do wish they would have left the shelf in the fridge while removing contents of mini-bar. We use the shelf to stack things and separate. But hopefully this tip will help keep things cooler.

I've read this a few places and I have a question about just how much you leave the door open

Do you just put a washcloth over it so it's cracked open or do you leave it wide open?

I always cracked my open several inches. You want to be able to reach inside and not feel the build up of heat.

Thanks for this tip! Don't know how I've never come across this information before? I do wish they would have left the shelf in the fridge while removing contents of mini-bar. We use the shelf to stack things and separate. But hopefully this tip will help keep things cooler.

I miss the shelf too. Someone said there is a thermostat in the fridge but mine didn't have one. I've been leaving the cabinet door open for years and it really helps. The reason they don't take it off is aesthetics.

Thanks for the tip. Never thought of that.

I got confused for a moment trying to figure out how opening the fridge door would cool down the contents. Then it hit me, keep the fridge door closed and open the wooden cabinet door.... Long day at work today....

I wish you would've gotten a temp. reading on the inside of the fridge cabinet (but outside the fridge). Curious how warm it actually is in there. I knew right away those little fridges were struggling to keep up. Ours had a few vent slots cut into the side of the cabinet, but they aren't doing much good. If the whole purpose was to lock them in the past, then they might as well just remove the doors now.

Don't mean to deviate from the thread topic, but I noticed your avatar and have to ask. What did you think of the Sea Trek? We plan on doing it in St. Thomas on our next one and are looking forward to it. I went to the Coral World Ocean Park website and it says they sell photo packages with their Sea Trek excursion. Does that mean we can't take our own GoPro down with us?

I thought i will chime in, i have done 3 SEA TREK excursions Two in ST. MAARTEN and ST> THOMAS Coral world is a beautiful beach to enjoy afterwards Yes you can take your own camera and or purchase their video, we did both, its an experience you will never forget i can't wait to get back down there.