Opinions on the ships that will be sailing out of Galveston in the next years?

Galveston Island is a destination and there is more to do there than most ports of call We have called on.

Has there been any movement in Fertitta's plans to redevelop part of the docks ?

We have been on both the Vision and the Liberty. I would say that out of all of our cruises, the Vision was my least favorite while the Liberty is my most favorite. We like it so much, we're going on a B2B on it next January!

Has there been any movement in Fertitta's plans to redevelop part of the docks ?

There is movement by port to build a third terminal and by city officials and some major players to redevelop properties east of present terminals and past the existing entertainment area .

Also a group is working on Galveston becoming a destination port. All of this will take some time .

I wonder if it's the issue with transportation/logistics. I frequently read on here about how difficult it is to get to Galveston if you're not driving in, hotels that have 2 night minimums, Uber not allowed, the lack of rental car return facilities etc etc.

We really enjoyed the Liberty but we like to try new ships so we booked Carnival Vista for 2019 since we only do 7-day cruises. If RCI were to bring a new big ship before then, we would probably cancel Vista and rebook. I keep hoping for new options because for us we would much rather cruise from Galveston. I do want to do the Southern itinerary so there is a Florida cruise in our future at some point. But Galveston is just so convenient.

:)

We really enjoyed the Liberty but we like to try new ships so we booked Carnival Vista for 2019 since we only do 7-day cruises. If RCI were to bring a new big ship before then, we would probably cancel Vista and rebook. I keep hoping for new options because for us we would much rather cruise from Galveston. I do want to do the Southern itinerary so there is a Florida cruise in our future at some point. But Galveston is just so convenient.

Then bring in Vision repo in fall 2017 from NY down to southern and back up western caribbean . Better yet do btb first leg from Quebec fall foliage Canada's and east coast to NY then second leg down Caribbean and back up into Galveston Home port.

Add Disney Wonder to your list. We cruised Liberty of the Seas, then Disney Wonder the next day, and Disney was so much nicer! We meant to cruise them once to cross them from our list, but instead they're in the top three. Since Galveston is mostly a ship cruise for us, we're moving over to Disney. Short gangplank onto the Disney Wonder, instead of those long gangplanks that zigzag back and forth several times.

A few problems with Disney:

1. They don't have a JS category (Royal's JS are the best in the industry).

2. You can't cancel shore excursions once on the ship unless you visit the infirmary and get a doctor's note from him.

3. They don't use a separate kitchen for their allergy passengers. But they're very conscientious of caring for allergy passengers. They check to make sure we don't have any allergens in the MDR, but not so much in the Buffet.

I wonder if it's the issue with transportation/logistics. I frequently read on here about how difficult it is to get to Galveston if you're not driving in, hotels that have 2 night minimums, Uber not allowed, the lack of rental car return facilities etc etc.

New Transportation services and new hotels have been built. More are in progress and planned .

Supply and demand hotel , vacation rentals of room availablity will ease out and become more balanced as more are built. Just do your homework and call direct to lodging.

Cruise line same day services between airports terminals have expanded to meet demands.

Galveston limo now has everyday all day transfer services between airports and terminals and hotels. Others are coming on board .

State of Texas last week passed new law lessening regulations ( like no finger printing required for drivers) in favor of uber etal and like. Austin Galveston others should be getting these back soon.

Major section of I45

10 lane highway 99 % complete and officially open this month .

:)

Do remember Galveston is a destination island with 6,500,000 visitors last year. All Tourist activities are year around .

Edited by ssb

New Transportation services and new hotels have been built. More are in progress and planned . ... .

Do you know of any rental car agencies on the island that are open on Sunday and take one-way rentals from Hobby?

Enterprise is open on Sunday as is Hertz in Texas City. Prior reservations must be made and there is a $100 drop off fee.

Thanks, still probably less expensive to drop at Avis in Texas City and cab it to the port.