laptops

dogdoc2002

Does anyone out there know if the average Joe has access on the plane to plug laptops in to charge? We're flying on AmericaWest next summer to Honolulu, and take the laptop along to watch movies and such. We have a travel adapter from Dell, so it can be plugged into the cigarette lighter on a car, and has an adapter for charging on planes as well. It's been a while since I've flown, but I don't ever remember seeing a spot to plug a laptop in to charge. Is this something that everyone has access to, or just business/first class passangers?

Thanks!

America West as a whole does not have power ports at their seats - in either first or coach. But since they are in the process of integrating their planes with USAir's planes, you -might- get a USAir plane with powerports. But also a note there that on most USAir planes they have actually been removing their power ports.

So in all, I would treat getting a power port as a pleasant surprise and would not expect one.

jeff

Does anyone out there know if the average Joe has access on the plane to plug laptops in to charge? We're flying on AmericaWest next summer to Honolulu, and take the laptop along to watch movies and such. We have a travel adapter from Dell, so it can be plugged into the cigarette lighter on a car, and has an adapter for charging on planes as well. It's been a while since I've flown, but I don't ever remember seeing a spot to plug a laptop in to charge. Is this something that everyone has access to, or just business/first class passangers?

Thanks!

Only on the newest planes and in business class are power ports available.

Get a second battery and keep it charged!

Thanks!

If you were flying American, you would have had a good chance. They have power ports throughout coach. Not at every seat or every group/row, but there are quite are quite a few of them

• 2 weeks later...

Have you looked at trying to get a spare battery for your laptop?

I know not cheap, and the cheaper generic replacements do sometimes have a risk of damaging your laptop. But just a thought.

Personally I'm not planning to bring my laptop. Just a few good books and a cell phone. E-mail can wait for a week and a half!

America West as a whole does not have power ports at their seats - in either first or coach. But since they are in the process of integrating their planes with USAir's planes, you -might- get a USAir plane with powerports. But also a note there that on most USAir planes they have actually been removing their power ports.

So in all, I would treat getting a power port as a pleasant surprise and would not expect one.

jeff

I saw an article this week where USAir has decided to put the powerports back into their planes.

Have you looked at trying to get a spare battery for your laptop?

I know not cheap, and the cheaper generic replacements do sometimes have a risk of damaging your laptop. But just a thought.

Personally I'm not planning to bring my laptop. Just a few good books and a cell phone. E-mail can wait for a week and a half!

I'm starting to look at getting a spare battery. We bought the laptop last year as a gift for when we travel- watch movies, etc on the plane, and entertainment for my spouse while I'm at meetings. I'll be in Hawaii for a little over 2 weeks- the first for a conference, and the proceedings are only available on CD-ROM, so the laptop must come :(

The other thing I don't like besides the cost of a second battery, is the fact that they're not light either :(

Figured it was a long shot, but never hurts to ask.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

For my Dell there were two power cables to choose from. One for your car which charged the laptop battery and the other designed for airplanes with lower wattage.

This is the brand I bought. Make sure your cord is airplane compatable.

http://www.lindelectronics.com/cgi-bin/store/shop.cgi/!ORDERID!/aaa/x/dbx_gen_aaa_mfgs/http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&q=lind+laptop

Archived