Yum, Yum -Chef's Jes' Lobster-Pumpkin Soup

frequent traveler

Hi Luv to jump --

I've put Chef Jes' recipe exactly as he gave to me then underneath each the original quantity - the "American" amounts as converted by my husband.

Cream of Pumpkin Soup

Sea Dream II

Jeremy Paskins, Chef de Cuisine

This recipe makes makes about a half gallon of soup (couldn't tell exactly due to all the "sampling" before it was served).

1 Kg Pumpkin, cleaned and without skin (in small cubes 3 x 3 cm)

As converted, 36 oz or 2.2 lbs, in 1 inches cubes (I used 3 small cooking pumpkins).

200 Gr Onions (Finely chopped)

7 oz (about a cup)

150 Gr Carrots (Finely chopped)

5.25 oz (between ½ and 2/3 cup)

150 Gr White Leeks (Finely chopped)

5.25 oz (between ½ and 2/3 cup)

2 Pcs Garlic (2 cloves)

1 ½ liter Fish Stock (Lobster Base)

6 1/2 cups

1 liter Heavy Cream

4 ¼ cups

Little Saffron

Salt and Pepper

Olive Oil

Start by putting the Pumpkin in a high pan with olive oil and heat without color the Pumpkin (I took this to mean on medium but don't brown the pumpkin at all)

Add the onion, leeks, carrots, and garlic, simmer for 20 minutes (gives the taste to the soup).

Add the fish stock, saffron, and heavy cream, bring to a boil and then reduce to low, cooking for 50 minutes

Use a blender to mix the soup.

Then strain to remove any small pieces (I didn't need to do that as my blender liquified very well)

Season with salt and pepper.

As garnish you can use: cooked chopped lobster, pumpkin seeds, estragon (I interpreted this as tarragon), and a little whipped cream.

(comment – my family didn’t like the pumpkin seeds – I toasted them first, but the seeds were difficult to chew – not soft like when I had the soup on board Sea Dream II – should I have done something else? Also, please be sure to strain your fish stock very well, otherwise it can overpower the other flavors).

Hope you enjoy as much as we did (and will).

FT

I've had many a pumpkin soup, but never with seeds in or on it, though my wife toasts them for a separate snack (not with the soup). I would suggest omitting them from your soup, as the preparation would have to be near-perfect.

Archived