Upgrade deals?

bones774

Hi, I'm sailing on the Breakaway come august. I booked two GTY cabins for my family and just rec'd cabin assignments, one is a slight upgrade over the other and they are a bit far apart. I know all about GTY and it's rules so please don't tell me that i should not book GTY if i won't be satisfied with any cabin on the ship,thanks. I have sailed NCL for years now always on GTY linked reservations and have been very happy with room assignments, except this time. I called NCL and asked about upgrade deals and they told me about a bidding process to get upgraded and that i MAY receive an email asking me to bid up. Last year i called a dept for upgrade is this the new way they handle it? I have an IE and IF cabin as of now. Suggestions please?

Thanks

Yes they have a bidding process now. People say once you are about 80 days out, if you log in you will see it. But you still can't pick your cabin that way. If you are looking for an upgrade deal then that is the way to do it. Otherwise I thought you could still call to pay to upgrade at the current rates. (I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.)

For the room you want to change, go online, see what is available, pick a cabin and then call to see how much to switch to room XXXX.

The prices on my August Breakaway sailing went up about $30pp for most categories when we hit the 90 day out mark the other day.

Edited by khaide612
spelling

Hi, I'm at 80 days out now. I didn't see the upgrade process but i'll go back and double check now. I do have a call into my T/A and see what he can do. The t/a is a rookie and he seems to be a bit less knowledgeable at this time.

I'll also do the cabin check thing, thanks.

Hi, I'm at 80 days out now. I didn't see the upgrade process but i'll go back and double check now. I do have a call into my T/A and see what he can do. The t/a is a rookie and he seems to be a bit less knowledgeable at this time.

I'll also do the cabin check thing, thanks.

If you purchased your cruise through a TA and NOT directly with NCL you will not receive the email to bid. Check your SPAM or other folders in email. It will be titled, "NCL Advantage Program" and mine arrived about 45 days out. You do not get to pick the actual room; you can just bid on higher categories.

If you purchased your cruise through a TA and NOT directly with NCL you will not receive the email to bid. Check your SPAM or other folders in email. It will be titled, "NCL Advantage Program" and mine arrived about 45 days out. You do not get to pick the actual room; you can just bid on higher categories.

I booked with a t/a, that's quite a disadvantage, must remember that next time. Could i call NCL at that point and ask about the program? Thanks

I booked with a t/a, that's quite a disadvantage, must remember that next time. Could i call NCL at that point and ask about the program? Thanks

I'm not sure why you would feel using a T/A is a disadvantage. Your T/A will be notified of your upgrade bidding eligibility to which they will pass along to you.

That said, in your situation, bidding for an upgrade is NOT going to help. You need to see how much it would cost to get your rooms in a location and proximity to one another that you will be satisfied with. For that, simply call your T/A, explain exactly what you want and they can give you the cost to make it happen.

I'm not sure why you would feel using a T/A is a disadvantage. Your T/A will be notified of your upgrade bidding eligibility to which they will pass along to you.

That said, in your situation, bidding for an upgrade is NOT going to help. You need to see how much it would cost to get your rooms in a location and proximity to one another that you will be satisfied with. For that, simply call your T/A, explain exactly what you want and they can give you the cost to make it happen.

I said that about t/a because there was one mention that if not booked thru NCL i would not receive the email, now someone said they rec'd offer thru t/a. I have a call into my t/a now and see what to do but i wanted to get as much info from here as possible.

I said that about t/a because there was one mention that if not booked thru NCL i would not receive the email, now someone said they rec'd offer thru t/a. I have a call into my t/a now and see what to do but i wanted to get as much info from here as possible.

Sorry for the confusion on my last cruise in November we were told that cruises booked through a TA were not eligible for the bidding upgrades via the advantage program. It is possible that it may have changed, but it was suppose to be an "advantage" for people booked directly through NCL. Either way your TA will know the answer.

In regards to it showing on your NCL page that is not correct.

PS-Can i upgrade to a 2 bedroom suite(i just read about it) that would solve the problem of rooms being distant from each other.

Yes you can upgrade at any time. I thought you were asking about the bidding system where you can bid a lower amount for a higher priced room.

Yes you can upgrade at any time. I thought you were asking about the bidding system where you can bid a lower amount for a higher priced room.

Yes i do wanna know about bidding system, bid up to a 2 bedroom family suite and it solves my 2 distant cabin problems!

Yes i do wanna know about bidding system, bid up to a 2 bedroom family suite and it solves my 2 distant cabin problems!

You mean you want to "combine" the 2 cabins, and bid on a 2 bedroom family suite?

You won't know if you got the upgrade until a couple days before you sail. Then you'd to cancel your extra room and lose all your money.

Bids on two bedrooms on my cruise are running $1250 each for the passengers one and two. Since the other people aren't even on your reservation, I don't think they can join in either. So that's two ways it can't work.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You won't know if you got the upgrade until a couple days before you sail. Then you'd to cancel your extra room and lose all your money.

Bids on two bedrooms on my cruise are running $1250 each for the passengers one and two. Since the other people aren't even on your reservation, I don't think they can join in either. So that's two ways it can't work.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

ughh!

It also depends of if your T/A has opted out of the Advantage program, if they did you won't be given the opportunity to bid. Even if you do bid and get a 2 bedroom you won't be allowed to cancel the second room. There is also the possibility that the way the people on the lifeboats have been distributed they will not allow a 3 and 4th in the suite even though it can accommodate 4 people.

OP, there are a # of threads here (please search !!) and some with very good info on this new "Upgrade Advantage" program by NCL that rolled out earlier this year. Here's one link - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2453189&page=36

Whether your current booking is via a T/A or directly with NCL, you should still see the offer - subject to availability, depending on sales as it closer to sailing date - it isn't bonded to the 80 days - either in the form of an email to all occupants booked, or, as a pop-up icon once you logged into your own MyNCL dot com account (that you have 100% access to ... to review your Latitude benefits, review eDocs & complete OLCI (OnLine Check-In) and make dining & show reservations (for mega ships, etc.)

Even if your T/A opted out to not participate and/or did not or will not forward any email about the Upgrade offer to you, should not be a factor.

If you are checked into your Roll Call, others on it will likely be alerted and share their availability - giving you the "heads up" notice to start looking for it. Adjust your spam filters to not have those emails blocked or diverted. **** see screnshot image below

9ed44a7d30533c047b9d1dc2368e5962.jpg

We just sailed the Gem about 4 weeks ago and the UA email and online website icon did NOT appear for anyone until about 50 days out ... not 80 days; and, that was with a lot of unsold stateroom in the inventory. You are sailing over the busy summer season to a popular destination out of the NY or Northeast ... mid/late August prices are lower for bookings but beginning of month, prices remained quite high. Expect a sizable "chunk" of fellow passengers to bit, like you, for an upgrade - and you take your chances.

Don't expect to nor will NCL take into consideration you have 2 "linked" bookings now and processed your offer and - if accepted - 2 new staterooms in close proximity or near each other. You could end up with 1 cabin on deck 5 FWD, starboard and the 2nd. cabin on deck 13 AFT, portside charged to different prices.