Florence from La Spezia

cruisin cousin

Our ship changed its port from Livorno to La Spezia. We really want to see Florence. Any good ideas how to arrange it? The only tour the ship appears to be offering is a total of 6 1/2 hours, which sounds to me like 4+ hours on a bus for 2 hours in Florence. I am open to private tour companies or public transportation, and budget is an issue. We are two adults and we don't mind skipping Pisa.

This topic has been discussed before (you can do a search). You have a few options besides excursions. You can take the train (there are often about 2 per hour) but the train will take you between 2 and 2 1/2 hours each way. Driving is a bit faster and it usually takes about 1 1/2 hours each way...although this can vary depending on the traffic as you near Florence.

I cannot help you with tours, but consider that the only way to get the cost down to a reasonable price (on a private tour) is to join with a small group. So try posting on your Cruise Critic Roll Call board and see if there are others with similar thoughts.

Hank