Dyson Hair Dryer

We are sailing on Independence in 3 weeks and I was planning on taking my Dyson!

You just reminded me that when I took my GHD hair straightener on Mariner a few years ago, that wouldn't work :eek: I will keep an eye on your thread and cross my fingers lol

No it's not the plug it's the electrical power wattage, I always take USA hair appliances on a cruise as the power on my UK ones are not as good.

I looked at the Dyson dryer, and it is not dual voltage, so if you plug it directly into the 110v outlet on the ship, it will produce half as much heat as when you use it in the UK. If you bring a UK to European round pin (Europlug or type C) adapter, and plug into the 220v outlet, it will be just like using it at home. Or, you can buy a more expensive step up transformer which will plug into the 110v outlet and produce 220v power for your dryer.

I looked at the Dyson dryer, and it is not dual voltage, so if you plug it directly into the 110v outlet on the ship, it will produce half as much heat as when you use it in the UK. If you bring a UK to European round pin (Europlug or type C) adapter, and plug into the 220v outlet, it will be just like using it at home. Or, you can buy a more expensive step up transformer which will plug into the 110v outlet and produce 220v power for your dryer.

Thanks for that, I did do all of the above with the help of the cabin steward and it still didn't work, will do as you say and contact Dyson tomorrow and see what they say.

Hi, I'm wondering if you called Dyson? and if so what was there response?

I don't know if it's worth taking mine when I go on Independence......Thank you!

Hi Jasper,

As chengkp75 stated, it should have worked , Dyson agreed with him totally, they couldn't explain why there was a problem, it could be the ships electrical power.?

Will be taking my Dyson on Indy in September and will try again. If you take yours maybe you can post here and let me know how you get on. Thanks

SuziB x

Let me ask a question. Does the unit have a three-prong plug? Is this an American or UK dryer? It may be that the electronics in the Dyson that drives the motor are looking for the ground and neutral to be at the same voltage, as is the case in house wiring, but not in ship's wiring. Interesting. Maybe I'll write to Dyson.

• 1 month later...
Hi Jasper,

As chengkp75 stated, it should have worked , Dyson agreed with him totally, they couldn't explain why there was a problem, it could be the ships electrical power.?

Will be taking my Dyson on Indy in September and will try again. If you take yours maybe you can post here and let me know how you get on. Thanks

SuziB x

Hi Suzi,

I just arrived home from my cruise on Indy and am sorry to say that my Dyson didn't work on-board. It worked everywhere else we went but not on the ship.

Very disappointing as it took 3 times longer to dry my hair with the terrible hair dryer supplied in our suite.

My hair straighteners worked which was a surprise but they are MUK.

Thought I would let you know early,

Julie x