Explorer of the Seas - Inside seating with outside views

So my partner and I and a large group of in-laws are going on a 7 night Alaska cruise on Explorer in June. It'll only be my second cruise, the first was a 7 night from Vancouver on Rhapsody all the way back in July, 2000.

One of the things I like about Rhapsody (keeping in mind I was only 13 at the time) was that you could find lots of places to hang out indoors and still watch the scenery. I used to sit in the library which at the time was on the side of the ship. I believe it has since been replaced with staterooms.

We have a promenade room so I'm trying to figure out the best places to hang out and be able to watch outside on Explorer. While it looks like a nice ship it appears the design doesn't lend a lot of space for this as much of the public space has been moved to the center of the ship as the promenade.

I was thinking Windjammer and Viking Crown Lounge, but they may have limited hours or seating availability. Does anyone else have any suggestions?

We were on Navigator a couple of years ago, and you're correct, most of the outside of the ships are filled with staterooms. Radiance class is the only surviving "indoors watching out" class with their MASSIVE windows. We did Alaska twice on Radiance class, not sure how Voyager class would be. Looks like Deck 11 might be good with Peekaboo up front and the Solarium. You can usually find a spot in the WIndjammer between feeding frenzies, lots of windows there.

I agree with Viking Crown, that would be the best inside area for visibility. If you feel like exercise, the fitness center also has excellent visibility.

Excellent!

Thanks for the replies. Is WJ only open during meal times or most of the day? Not that I would sit there and hog a table if it was even 1/2 busy. VCL definitely sounds like the place, hopefully it isn't super busy all the time.

Excellent!

Thanks for the replies. Is WJ only open during meal times or most of the day? Not that I would sit there and hog a table if it was even 1/2 busy. VCL definitely sounds like the place, hopefully it isn't super busy all the time.

VCL is a much better choice for "just sitting" than the WJ. There are occasionally events and classes and things held up there, but there is usually available seating to "just sit" most of the day.

There are places that you can sit and see outside. There is an area on the port side of the Ice skating rink that is good. Also a few seats in The Tavern or The Schooner Bar on deck 4. There is also a nice under cover area (so out of the elements) in the Solarium which is nice to sit and watch the world go by.

FYI, you need to use the port side elevators to access Deck 14 and the VCL.

Once up there, look for the semi-private seating area in the lounge near the elevators (port side and along the wall adjacent to Izumi). Great views of both the water and the hustle/bustle of Decks 11 and 12.