Looking for active, small group excursions (hiking, kayaking)

tuffy0317

Used Ketchikan Kayak Company in Ketchikan this week. There were only two of us and they didn't cancel the trip. Because they don't do large groups, I believe the limit is 8, they are able to make it more personalized. And you are on the water longer then the others. We saw some of the ship/larger groups zip by us and make their loop and get out.

Thanks! They just had a cancellation for the day we're there, so we were able to get a spot on their tour. We're very excited to kayak in such a beautiful place!

I'll let you know about the Glacier Point Wilderness Safari after we go. It's out of Skagway and you take a boat followed by a bus to get way out in the country where you put on rubber boots, etc. and then kayak and hike to the Davidson Glacier. I don't think it's that strenuous, but does require hiking around a mile on rocky terrain. The pictures and reviews are fabulous! It's a highly rated tour but also one that seems to be more off the beaten path. I think the maximum number of people total might be around 40 or so? Most of the pictures I've seen seem to be less than that. It appears you can usually walk near the glacier. If you book this one, it's through Alaska Excursions. There is only one company that does it. My Princess cruise offered the exactly tour (I'd be with the same company, etc.) but it was $20 more. I booked direct.

Just did this excursion the first week of June. I'll fill in a few details: 2 boats of 24 passengers each for about 1 hr 15 mins each way. Upon arrival at Glacier Point, they fed us a basic sack lunch - turkey sandwich, applesauce cup, and trail mix. Then we loaded on 2 school buses for a 10-15min ride through some fairly steep dirt roads in the forest. We got our gear and started on a 5-10 minute walk. Then we boarded the canoes - 5 canoes with 8 people each. I'm estimating the canoe portion to be 15-20 mins. It's a moderate paddle, with one difficult portion through a swift current area. Once you get past this transition area from river to lake they use motors to get you across the lake. Then you walk quite a distance to reach the glacier - I'm thinking it was about 1/2 mile each way as it took 10-15mins. You can't walk that fast due to the rubber boats you are wearing. We spent probably 15 mins at the glacier. Then you reverse the process to get back. I loved this tour because of the variety of experiences(boat, hike, canoe, vistas) and the feeling of the vastness of nature due to the remote location of this excursion.

Physical Ability - The average person didn't have any difficulty as long as they are use to basic physical activity in their daily routine like walking. You definitely need to be able to walk a mile at a comfortable pace. The few people that were struggling to keep up with the group were clearly overweight and had to stop and take some breathers....but they made it, they just had less time at the glacier. Be willing to paddle the canoe - don't expect the rest of us to do all the work for you.

Restroom - I hate to mention this aspect but feel it will be useful to others. There are NO restrooms on the boat ride, so go before you board the boats - there are nice restrooms at the dock. Once you get to Glacier Point - there is no running water, which means no nice restrooms. There are outhouses - in the truest sense of outhouse, at the gear pavilion. The outhouse was not exactly pleasant but better than nothing but was worse than I expected (odor/flies/bugs/a bit muddy). Just make it quick visit and remind yourself you are in a complete wilderness area so you shouldn't expect anything more;).

Have a question for you about the level 3 extended Glacier Trek... how 'good physical' shape are they talking? Are they just warning the people with mobility issues it is more intense or would you need to be someone who works out regularly and hikes mountains?

I just did the Level 2 Trek a few weeks ago - it was spectacular, I still get so excited thinking about what an incredible experience it was. We were on our feet for 2+ hours walking most of the time with small 5min breaks to take photos. You cannot sit down during the tour and should be prepared to be on your feet the entire time. It's difficult to estimate a distance of how far we went, but we were definitely walking up and down some slopes at awkward angles - you kind of zig zag your way up and through the glacier. A few times we had to "giant" step across some streams. I was slightly "winded" a few times during the 2 hour experience. I haven't been working out lately, but am easily capable of walking 1-2 miles at a comfortable pace. I was tired at the end and was sore the next day - kind of like the first time you go skiing each year and use leg/knee muscles you aren't use to. It was very similar to hiking a mountainous type trail with ups and downs on uneven terrain needing to watch your footing. Overall this was my favorite excursion I've ever done on any cruise - DO IT!! If I ever have a next time - I would definitely consider doing the Level 3. I think the main difference between level 2 and 3 from what I observed was that the level 3 goes on to do the climbing - which looked amazing. I do think the guide will assess the mobility of the group and then decides where to take the group. I saw some groups that were likely on the level 1 tour that were staying in the flatter areas moving at a slower pace.