Excursion recommendations - NCL Jewel July 1st Family of 6

CruiseNewbieSio

Hi,

We are booked on the NCL Jewel, starting July 1st and will be stopping at Kethcikan, Juneau, Skagway and Victoria. Travelling with my parents (65+) and a 7 year old. Any recommendations on easy-moderate excursion activities as well as specific tour companies would be greatly appreciated!

Parents are specifically interested in the helicopter/float plane excursions. Looking for recommendations on which port (along with companies) to reach out to.

We are still cruise newbies and am still trying to figure out all the details :)

Thanks in advance!

Edited by CruiseNewbieSio

Hi,

We are booked on the NCL Jewel, starting July 1st and will be stopping at Kethcikan, Juneau, Skagway and Victoria. Travelling with my parents (65+) and a 7 year old. Any recommendations on easy-moderate excursion activities as well as specific tour companies would be greatly appreciated!

Parents are specifically interested in the helicopter/float plane excursions. Looking for recommendations on which port (along with companies) to reach out to.

We are still cruise newbies and am still trying to figure out all the details :)

Thanks in advance!

float planes, Juneau and Ketchikan. helicopter- Skagway and Juneau.

"easy-moderate excursion activities" applies to just about every tour. you need to significantly narrow down your interests, then choices.

If able, I recommend splitting up and each choosing what they wish to occupy their time with.

Hi! We are also traveling this summer with our child - he's 6. Since we haven't been yet, I can only tell you our plans, not recommend. But, much of our planning has come from the helpful reviews and advice of previous family travelers both here and on Trip Advisor. Check out the 2016 trip reports - many are from families.

Ketchikan: Crab fishing tour with Aleutian Ballad Bering Sea Crab Fisherman's tour. Booked direct with company - less than booking with cruise line for the same excursion.

Juneau: helicopter tour with glacier landing with Coastal Helicopters in the morning (booked direct). Rented a car from Juneau Car Rental to drive to Mendenhall Glacier for trail hiking in the afternoon.

Skagway: rented a jeep from Green Jeeps (our son is a Jeep fan!!) to do the drive from Skagway to Emerald Lake through the Yukon. Also purchased Murray's Guide ($5 online) as the road map & "tour guide" of this drive.

Hope that helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My husband and I are traveling with our 3 kids, 15, 11 and (almost) 2. We booked: helicopter & dog sledding in Juneau (direct saved us $75/person), a private tour in Ketchikan and the White Pass Summit in Skagway. All of these tours we did direct. I'm also going to book through the cruise line the Adventure park zipline excursion for myself and the older boys in Skagway for after the train. We're only booking through the cruise line, because they don't offer the afternoon zip time direct. In Victoria I think we'll stay on the ship. For our itinerary, we're there 6pm to midnight. Since we're from Florida, I suspect that will be too late for us - the 4 hour time difference is definitely going to be challenging!

This is the one excursion I would never miss when taking the Jewel to Alaska

https://www.ncl.com/shorex/231465591/32656456/shorex-detail/JNUN15#?productType=EXCURSION&lang=&date=06%2F27%2F2017

We are on the Jewel the week before you, our excursions are

Ketchikan, https://www.ncl.com/shorex/231465591/32656456/shorex-detail/KTNN14

Juneau, Take a bus out to Mendenhall, come back to town for a couple hours before boarding the above mentioned glacier explorer to Tracy arm

Skagway, we have a rented a 4 door Jeep from green Jeeps and are driving to Dyea inlet and up to Emerald lake in the Yukon

Victoria, Take the bus tour to Buchart gardens, once back at the boat walk over to fisherman's wharf to feed the seals.

Edited by spotfish

Went on the Pearl (similar itinerary) last summer with our then 6yo DD. In Juneau as it was a nice enough day we did the Mt Roberts Tram (bought the tickets when we got there) and then a combo city/Mendenhall Glacier tour that we did through one of the companies that has a booth downtown. In Skagway we did the White Pass train all the way to Carcross YT and booked through Chillkoot Charters. In Ketchikan we also did the crab boat tour on the Aleutian Ballard and like a PP we booked directly with the AB. Our DD liked all of the excursions. If you want to read more about them I have a link to my trip review in my signature below.