Ironing room?

The answer is no and as well there is no laundrette for passengers to use.They will confiscate any iron which you attempt to bring on board. They say this is to prevent accidents from the use of irons, but I think the real reason is obvious...it's so you have to use the on board laundry to get these little jobs done!!

Peter and Jenny

The answer is no and as well there is no laundrette for passengers to use.They will confiscate any iron which you attempt to bring on board. They say this is to prevent accidents from the use of irons, but I think the real reason is obvious...it's so you have to use the on board laundry to get these little jobs done!!

Peter and Jenny

Thanks for that, useful info to know and a bit naughty of them IMO then

Peter and Jenny

This is true, irons can start fires, either with an electrical fault or being left switched on. To ensure safety every iron brought onboard the ship would have to be safety checked and even then could cause a fire. Fire at sea is a terrible thing :eek:

This is true, irons can start fires, either with an electrical fault or being left switched on. To ensure safety every iron brought onboard the ship would have to be safety checked and even then could cause a fire. Fire at sea is a terrible thing :eek:

Well said. This is a safety not a money issue.

We came back from Discovery 2 on Sunday and they offer a well priced ironing service.

There is a laundry room on both Celebration and Spirit where you can wash dry and iron but that is not the same as having an iron in your cabin. Unfortunately not all of the Thomson fleet have laundries

A cruise ship may or may not have a launderette depending on where and when it was built. If Thomson acquire a ship without launderettes they have to make a business judgement. Do they convert revenue generating space (cabins) into launderettes? The answer is simple , no;)

Or to put it another way, will adding launderettes increase their profits, no, so they won't do it.

Well if it is a safety and not a money issue please explain why P&O provide launderettes were passengers can not only iron their clothes but also do there laundry.

Peter and Jenny

In the P and O launderettes the irons are permanently wired to the walls and have a timer which has to be set before it will switch on. The timer starts to count down immediately so cannot be left accidentally turned on. They will also be subject to the same rigorous safety inspections as any other electrical item.

Well if it is a safety and not a money issue please explain why P&O provide launderettes were passengers can not only iron their clothes but also do there laundry.

Peter and Jenny

I'm sorry but I can't understand why anyone would want to spend valuable holiday time doing laundry, particularly when a very good laundry service is provided at reasonable cost.

You wouldn't do your laundry in a hotel, other than use a trouser press, so why is it so essential on a cruise?

I'm sorry but I can't understand why anyone would want to spend valuable holiday time doing laundry, particularly when a very good laundry service is provided at reasonable cost.

You wouldn't do your laundry in a hotel, other than use a trouser press, so why is it so essential on a cruise?

Well if you just happen to be on a 25 day or longer cruise ( as we will be next April) and you are restricted to the amount of luggage you can take with you then it becomes fairly essential to obtain fresh clothes from somewhere. Now you could use the ships laundry as I did once on P&O and they were ever so apologetic about ruining my best dress shirt but sadly informed me that laundry is submitted at your own risk, they take no responsibility for any damage. You could of course also go out and buy fresh clothes but then you will have to leave them behind because of the weight limits on the flight home! I agree that it would be unlikely that you would wash clothes on a hotel stay but I think you are suggesting a stay of up to two weeks. But what about those of us who think staying in a nice warm country for a couple of months in the winter rather than chilly old Britain is a good idea? Should we launder our clothes during that stay?

Peter and Jenny

Well if you just happen to be on a 25 day or longer cruise ( as we will be next April) and you are restricted to the amount of luggage you can take with you then it becomes fairly essential to obtain fresh clothes from somewhere. Now you could use the ships laundry as I did once on P&O and they were ever so apologetic about ruining my best dress shirt but sadly informed me that laundry is submitted at your own risk, they take no responsibility for any damage. You could of course also go out and buy fresh clothes but then you will have to leave them behind because of the weight limits on the flight home! I agree that it would be unlikely that you would wash clothes on a hotel stay but I think you are suggesting a stay of up to two weeks. But what about those of us who think staying in a nice warm country for a couple of months in the winter rather than chilly old Britain is a good idea? Should we launder our clothes during that stay?

Peter and Jenny

You must have been unfortunate with P&O as we have done several world sectors with them, and always used the ship's laundry at reasonable cost with no problems.

Surely when you are paying thousands for a cruise the provision of a laundry service is an asset to be used, rather than wasting your holiday time doing washing and ironing to save a few pounds.?

I have done a number of transatlantic crossings on Dream of over 14 days and will also be doing the Discovery 2 transatlantic 25 day crossing next April and I can assure you that I have only had to use the laundry service once for my hubby when he spilt wine on his chinos argh!!!

We always book an extra 5 kg luggage and I have 23kg max and he has 22kg along with 7kg hand luggage each we have always found this sufficient Underwear is washed in the cabin if necessary and hung on the line above the bath along with our swimming gear.

Wish raises a question : Is there a washing line in Discovery 2 cabins?

Thomson Spirit Oct 2005 Repo Palma to Sharm el Sheikh

Thomson Celebration Jan 2007 Red Sea Magic

Ocean Village Feb 2008 Western Caribbean & Central America

Ocean Village Aug 2008 Eastern Med

Ocean Village 2 Feb 2009 Eastern Caribbean

Ocean Village Mar 2010 Eastern Caribbean

Thomson Dream Feb 2011 Eastern Caribbean & Cuba

Thomson Celebration Aug 2011 Eastern Med

Thomson Celebration Apr 2012 Red Sea Magic

Thomson Celebration Apr/May 2012 Repo Sharm el Sheikh to Marmaris

Thomson Dream Feb 2013 Eastern Caribbean

Thomson Majesty Nov/Dec 2014 Colourful Coasts Canaries