Manaus hotel and Falls.

BobinVan

My wife and I shall be on the Mariner in Jan 06 and cruise ends in Manaus. We shall stay on for two nights. Can anyone recommend a hotel in Manaus and , as well, some things to see and do in the city and surrounding area. Cheers BobinVan

• 2 weeks later...

We are going in March. Someone who had visited

highly recommended the Tropicale. You can find

info from Travelocity,etc or on their web page.

I do believe it's a bit out of the city, so if touring/

sightseeing is a priority, you might need to follow

another lead from the above pages.

We went to Manaus last year on a ground tour. Only had an afternoon and a morning and made the most of it. We had a really great tour guide. Very reasonable - provided a van with driver and then he took us everywhere we wanted to go. I can't find his card right now, but will post it if I find it. (If you want to follow clues to find him - I have his name "Gilton" written on a booklet with the phone # (092) 9159-6991 (that was to contact him while in Manaus and the # format is consistent with a printed # on the booklet too)

Make sure you see the mixing of the waters, eat at the floating restaurant (by the huge water lillies), go to the market, check out the fruit market, definitely go to the Opera House and take the tour. There's a family that lives on one of the floating houses that has a bunch of animals as pets and a couple of caimin - very interesting. I'm sure every guide knows them because the family gets tip money - if you want your photo holding a snake, sloth, bird, monkey, etc this is the place!

We stayed at the Hotel Tropical Manaus - very nice. (They had a travel desk at the Hotel where I'm sure you could book whatever you wanted too - we just made our plans boating down the river from a jungle lodge and relied on our guides there to set us up - and we couldn't have asked for better!)

We had a great whirlwind tour in Manuas and really enjoyed it.

Dear Cool Cruiser. Thank you for your reply and mentioning the Tropicale. I saw the photos on the web and it looks interesting. I think we shall stay there or at Ariau Amazon Towers which is an "eco resort" about 35 miles out of Manaus. Have you heard of it? Which ship are you going to be on in March. Cheers, BobinVan

• 3 weeks later...

Travel-Kat,

Just wondering if you even found any more contact information or the name of the tour operator Gilton worked with?

My wife and I are on the same Ft Lauderdale to Manaus cruise as BobinVan but all the tour operators I have found offer multiple day packages. We are on the same type of schedule you were. Any more clues would be apreciated.

Thanks!

Archived