Bears in Ketchikan

stjlo

I'm considering renting a car and driving to Ward Lake, Settlers Cove and Totem Bight State Park and exploring the trails there. What are the chances of encountering a bear? I really love the outdoors, and easy walks through the woods and I love seeing animals but the thought of running into a bear (even in the distance) is really scary for me. I had thought it would be better for myself and my family to do a tour because the guide would guide us and know what to do if we see bears, but the cost is so much more and I like the idea of being on our own other than the bear problem. Any thoughts?

By the way, I would LOVE to see a bear in a more protected setting (like raised boardwalks or such).

I've done exactly what you are planning to do, several times - once alone and also with others. Bears are a reality, although I have never seen one on the trails, and that's probably since I make noise as I hike so they know I am there. Generally speaking, wild animals try to avoid humans. The key is to not surprise them. Talking warns them you are in the area.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums