recent cruisers on RCCL's Tulum ruins and beach break excursion in Cozumel?

Anybody done this one recently (i.e. in 2017)? The RCCL description says no backpacks or large purses, but it also says to take water, bug spray, towel, etc. Would a smaller soft-sided backpack be okay? I'm thinking they want to restrict the really large, hiking-type backpacks.

Also, the excursion includes lunch and time at a private beach. Which beach is it? I'm assuming it's not the one down the stairs from the ruins.

Thanks for any input.

We did this excursion in 2009, so not really recent. But, lunch was at a Beach Club. It was a small eatery with a bar and they served buffet of mexican food. This venue was on the beach which had some loungers and tables for just relaxing. You could buy drinks and take them to the beach. I'm sorry I don't remember the name of the Beach Club. I would imagine that your experience would be similar.

We likewise did this not as recently as this year, but a few years ago. I'm not sure why you'd need a towel at the ruins unless you had time to go down to the beach that is right there. In our experience, you will not have time to do that, and the towel can stay in your beach bag for later. You will take a ferry to the mainland, and then a bus ride to the ruins site. There will be a bathroom break, and then you have to walk about 10-15 minutes to the ruins themselves for a guided tour. You'd want sun protection, your camera, water, etc., for this part of the tour. Then you'll get some time to walk around on your own and take pictures (for us, it was only 25 minutes, and getting back to the bus was included in that time!).

The stop for lunch and beach time was at a resort partway between the ruins site and the dropoff for the ferry back to the ship. The food was a Mexican buffet and was pretty good, and you got a ticket for one beer or soda and could purchase more drinks. There was adequate time to eat and relax in a hammock or beach chair, or swim. It was a nice sandy beach, with plenty of room to spread out. You could also walk along the beach a ways. The whole experience was a long day with a relatively short time at the ruins, but it was impressive. We were late returning to the ship, but not the last to board, and they waited for everyone (who was on a ship excursion).

If you haven't already been warned, the ferry crossing can be rough. We always take Bonine for motion sickness and sit outside on the top deck of the ferry for fresh air if possible.