Rail to Winchester and Portsmouth from Southampton

This may be a stupid question, but I would appreciate some clarification. My husband and I are planning to be in Southampton for two day "pre-cruise" and would like to visit Winchester and Portsmouth.

Do I need to purchase our rail tickets ahead of time online or can I just purchase at the rail station on the day of our visit? Also, if purchased at the rail station, can I use cash or do I need a credit card or other payment card?

When we were in Ireland, we took the train from Tullamore to Dublin. We just went to the station that morning, purchased tickets with cash and boarded the train. I would appreciate knowing if it's the same procedure. What do you recommend?

Thanks for your help !:)

We just went to the station that morning, purchased tickets with cash and boarded the train.

Exactly the same if you want to get a train from Southampton to Winchester or Portsmouth.

For some longer distance journeys there are fixed time tickets available in advance at a cheaper price, but that isn't the case for Southampton to Winchester or Portsmouth.

As per the Magnet's reply, getting the best fare for long journeys is a minefield, but for local trips just buy return (round-trip) tickets at the station.

All London-bound trains and some others stop at Winchester, that's about four per hour.

For Portsmouth, I'm guessing you want to visit the historic dockyard and ships etc so stay on the train past the main Portsmouth and Southsea station to its terminus atPortsmouth.Direct service hourly, and another hourly service which involves one simple change at Fareham.

JB ;)

As per the Magnet's reply, getting the best fare for long journeys is a minefield, but for local trips just buy return (round-trip) tickets at the station.

All London-bound trains and some others stop at Winchester, that's about four per hour.

For Portsmouth, I'm guessing you want to visit the historic dockyard and ships etc so stay on the train past the main Portsmouth and Southsea station to its terminus atPortsmouth.Direct service hourly, and another hourly service which involves one simple change at Fareham.

JB ;)

I-Pad glitch. Portsmouth train to its terminus at Portsmouth Harbour.

JB :)

If you are visiting the Portsmouth Historic Dockyard it is worth buying the tickets in advance to get a 20% discount.

http://www.historicdockyard.co.uk/tickets-and-offers.

Note that you should not "gift aid" your tickets, and also that anyone over 60 can claim the reduced rate. The date of your visit is not fixed, as they are valid for a full year.

Edited by Bob++