Rental car advice to kill time bc late flight

deemmarie+2

I will be sailing on my 1st cruise on The Conquest-June 17th - 22nd, Out of Port Everglades. And flying home from Fort Lauderdale Airport. I have a departure flight time of 5 p.m. I wanted to rent a car and drive down to Miami for the afternoon to kill some time. Has anyone ever done anything like this before? Do you know of any rental car companies that are located at the airport that will pick you up from the port? :)

I will be sailing on my 1st cruise on The Conquest-June 17th - 22nd, Out of Port Everglades. And flying home from Fort Lauderdale Airport. I have a departure flight time of 5 p.m. I wanted to rent a car and drive down to Miami for the afternoon to kill some time. Has anyone ever done anything like this before? Do you know of any rental car companies that are located at the airport that will pick you up from the port? :)

It's not a good idea to go to Miami with a 5:00 flight. There's plenty to do in Ft Lauderdale and going to Miami could cause you to miss your flight.

You need to be at the airport around 3:30 PM and if there is no traffic problems it will take you 45 minutes to one hour each way to Miami. If you are thinking about South Beach figure an hour to 1 1/2 hours travel time each way with very little traffic. If there is a problem on the causeway then you could be stuck in traffic for hours. It's better to make good use of your time and stay in Ft Lauderdale.

Every major rental car company has shuttles from the port to their rental locations surrounding the port. Take your pick. Your questions about rental cars and what to do with a late flight are asked here every week so just use the search function in the upper right of the screen and you will find all your answers.

Here...I'll help you get started...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/search.php?searchid=108637147

to the OP: June 22nd is a Thursday. You never want to get into midweek traffic in or out of Miami. Heck, I don't even like to drive to Miami on a weekend, which I will have to do next week for our cruise.. Stay in FLL environs.

It's not a good idea to go to Miami with a 5:00 flight. There's plenty to do in Ft Lauderdale and going to Miami could cause you to miss your flight.

You need to be at the airport around 3:30 PM and if there is no traffic problems it will take you 45 minutes to one hour each way to Miami. If you are thinking about South Beach figure an hour to 1 1/2 hours travel time each way with very little traffic. If there is a problem on the causeway then you could be stuck in traffic for hours. It's better to make good use of your time and stay in Ft Lauderdale.

Every major rental car company has shuttles from the port to their rental locations surrounding the port. Take your pick. Your questions about rental cars and what to do with a late flight are asked here every week so just use the search function in the upper right of the screen and you will find all your answers.

Here...I'll help you get started...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/search.php?searchid=108637147

Thank you, i only googled the distance from ft Lauderdale to Miami. I didnt think to incorporate the potential heavy traffic! And thank you for the link!

to the OP: June 22nd is a Thursday. You never want to get into midweek traffic in or out of Miami. Heck, I don't even like to drive to Miami on a weekend, which I will have to do next week for our cruise.. Stay in FLL environs.

Thank you for your input! Yeah, looks like staying in FLL is the smarter option.

You can pay to store your bags at FLL and then you are free - head to a boozy brunch/lunch in Las Olas, or make your way to the water taxi, or just hit the beach. I would also check out day rates at some hotels - swim in the pool, nap, lunch, etc.

I agree with the others that going to Miami might not be the best idea. Lines for security at FLL can be quite long at times. There is a hotel with a day pass, Rodeway Inn I believe, that will pick you up at the port, take you to their hotel, and you have use of a room for the day, the pool, etc. Then they take you to the airport.

Just one of the many options of things to do in Fort Lauderdale for the day

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I agree with the others that going to Miami might not be the best idea. Lines for security at FLL can be quite long at times. There is a hotel with a day pass, Rodeway Inn I believe, that will pick you up at the port, take you to their hotel, and you have use of a room for the day, the pool, etc. Then they take you to the airport.

Just one of the many options of things to do in Fort Lauderdale for the day

RODEWAY INN is currently being used by the county to house the homeless people who were evicted from a FLL park. Not sure I would recommend this place.

RODEWAY INN is currently being used by the county to house the homeless people who were evicted from a FLL park. Not sure I would recommend this place.

Based on the recent reviews that are still positive, it still wouldn't stop me from hanging out by the pool. It beats sitting at the airport all day.

You can pay to store your bags at FLL and then you are free - head to a boozy brunch/lunch in Las Olas, or make your way to the water taxi, or just hit the beach. I would also check out day rates at some hotels - swim in the pool, nap, lunch, etc.

Thank you! So your saying take an uber/lyft/taxi to FLL and they will store my luggage? Do you have any idea as to what that servics might cost? I didnt know airports did that.