Greek toilets?

Korimako

In Greek toilets you are not supposed to put the toilet paper in the bowl. There is a bin in the toilet to put it. A clean establishment will empty it frequently.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Have heard (from a good friend who spent many years there) that many South American countries (Brazil) are that way. I guess, to most in this hemisphere, that sounds... icky ? :eek: I guess it depends on what you've grown up with. Personally, I've had some pretty 'dirty' jobs, but this BIN cleaner is one I'd have too pass on.

Mac

• 4 weeks later...

We experienced toilets in Turkey and Greece, it is all part of the discovery of another country and culture,

It was a bit strange but in Turkey you pay your money and the attendant provides you with 2 sheets of paper and 1 paper towel. I learned to take along my own "supplies".

No flushing because the pipes are narrow.

Yes, Greece is known for its small-bore drainage.

But you need to distinguish between properties with old drainage and new.

I've used bathrooms in hotels, resort-hotels, bars & restaurants in various locations in Greece from about 20 years ago and I've found them all of western standards. Mebbe I've been lucky, mebbe I've stuck too much to touristy places rather than village B&Bs etc.

You can ask hotels before booking, cos they're certainly not all on antiquated drainage.

JB :).