Scenic route:VAN TO SEA

Mrs.Gosse

HI friends. We were flying from Vancouver to Seattle and they changed our flight from 1125 to 115! Soooo. We called and were able to cancel our Delta flight for free because it was changed by more than 90 minutes! It was only 100 minutes so we just squeaked by!

We "one way" rented an SUV right from the pier for $160 USD after taxes and insurance and we are driving! I'm so excited! I think with an early self disembark ( we should only have 1 bag each) i think we will be in Seattle before our flight would have landed. And defenitly before we got out of the airport, went to customs, baggage claim, rental car shuttle, rental desk and back downtown!

I found a scenic route on trip advisor that stays off US I-5 but I'm open for any tips on a scenic drive. I know it will add time but it's worth it!!

Sent from my SM-N910P using Forums mobile app

In terms of a scenic rout it will be slow traveling .Most of the scenic route is probably 30 to 45 miles per hour . The bottle neck can be the US border crossing as the 99 from Vancouver (any road) can be busy and backed up. Rush hour in Vancouver is from 6 to 9AM.

How scenic would you like it?

There are any number of good options to follow along the water in Whatcom County (from the border to roughly Burlington) including the Chuckanut Drive. From there, I don't think off-I-5 routes are particularly scenic.

Unless.

When you come off the waterside at the south end of Chuckanut Drive, take Hwy 237 to Hwy 20 westbound, and drive over to Whidbey Island via Deception Pass. Continue south to Clinton and take the ferry back to the mainland at Mukilteo. It's one of my favorite drives in the area. Check a tide table to see when the currents at Deception Pass will be more impressive.

@Mrs.Gosse: what day are planning the trip from Vancouver? You may need to consider commuter or weekend congestion.

Sent from my STV100-3 using Forums mobile app

Also commuter traffic in Seattle can be bad. Especially if there is a sporting event in town or the Seafair week end.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There are any number of good options to follow along the water in Whatcom County (from the border to roughly Burlington) including the Chuckanut Drive. From there, I don't think off-I-5 routes are particularly scenic.

Unless.

When you come off the waterside at the south end of Chuckanut Drive, take Hwy 237 to Hwy 20 westbound, and drive over to Whidbey Island via Deception Pass. Continue south to Clinton and take the ferry back to the mainland at Mukilteo. It's one of my favorite drives in the area. Check a tide table to see when the currents at Deception Pass will be more impressive.

Very scenic is fine with me. I found a route that goes through an alternative customs stop and never really gets on I5 and goes down the coast through the islands. We've legitimately could not be into downtown Seattle until 4:30 or later with the flight that delta made us take. So with a self disembark at 7:30 I feel like we would be better off no matter how long it takes us. I'm definitely open to all routes.

Ok. I don't like using Truck Crossing or Lynden because it's out of the way and you marinate in diesel fumes at Truck Crossing. Saturday mid morning in September is likely to be a pretty average experience at Peace Arch. It's also a nice parklike setting not a truck stop.

If it were me, then, I would take 99 out of Vancouver, cross at Peace Arch, and then take the immediate roundabout after US CBP into downtown Blaine. I would stop for ice cream at Edaleen Dairy regardless of the hour of the day, because it's That Good. From there I would follow SR548 (Peace Portal Drive) down to Drayton Harbor Road, and veer out towards Semi-Ah-Moo. At some point on the Spit the name of the road will change to Semiahmoo Dr, then Birch Point Rd then Birch Bay Drive.

Once you see this on a map, you'll then see how to wind around through the Lummi River delta to Red River Road and Marine Drive which will take you into downtown Bellingham, avoiding I-5. State Street will take you from there to scenic Fairhaven and the Chuckanut Drive.

If you elect the skip the Whidbey-and-Ferry option I offered above, you can triddle down through Conway to Stanwood via the rest of Highway 237 and Pioneer Road, which will hook up with a *different* Marine Drive to get you to Marysville, where you can then elect to take 99 via Everett or get on I-5.

Traffic on a Saturday on this entire stretch of I-5 is likely to involve no more than a 30 minute delay from posted speed limits unless something *really* out of the ordinary happens, like a construction closure - ball games and concerts aren't likely to have much more than the usual impact. The scenic route will definitely add two hours to your trip time without the island-and-ferry option, and at least three and a half if you opt for the island and boat. Whidbey Island is a nice taste of the San Juans, though and if the weather is typical, it's a delight. I like various roads on the island just for the sheer pleasure of driving a German executive sedan, but I'm odd that way.

Ok. I don't like using Truck Crossing or Lynden because it's out of the way and you marinate in diesel fumes at Truck Crossing. Saturday mid morning in September is likely to be a pretty average experience at Peace Arch. It's also a nice parklike setting not a truck stop.

If it were me, then, I would take 99 out of Vancouver, cross at Peace Arch, and then take the immediate roundabout after US CBP into downtown Blaine. I would stop for ice cream at Edaleen Dairy regardless of the hour of the day, because it's That Good. From there I would follow SR548 (Peace Portal Drive) down to Drayton Harbor Road, and veer out towards Semi-Ah-Moo. At some point on the Spit the name of the road will change to Semiahmoo Dr, then Birch Point Rd then Birch Bay Drive.

Once you see this on a map, you'll then see how to wind around through the Lummi River delta to Red River Road and Marine Drive which will take you into downtown Bellingham, avoiding I-5. State Street will take you from there to scenic Fairhaven and the Chuckanut Drive.

If you elect the skip the Whidbey-and-Ferry option I offered above, you can triddle down through Conway to Stanwood via the rest of Highway 237 and Pioneer Road, which will hook up with a *different* Marine Drive to get you to Marysville, where you can then elect to take 99 via Everett or get on I-5.

Traffic on a Saturday on this entire stretch of I-5 is likely to involve no more than a 30 minute delay from posted speed limits unless something *really* out of the ordinary happens, like a construction closure - ball games and concerts aren't likely to have much more than the usual impact. The scenic route will definitely add two hours to your trip time without the island-and-ferry option, and at least three and a half if you opt for the island and boat. Whidbey Island is a nice taste of the San Juans, though and if the weather is typical, it's a delight. I like various roads on the island just for the sheer pleasure of driving a German executive sedan, but I'm odd that way.

Thank you so much ! I think we are stuck somewhere between being extremely relaxed about the time and wanting to get downtown in time to spend some time at Pike's Place. So we will make a decision and alter our route that way. Thank you for all the excellent details!

Thank you so much ! I think we are stuck somewhere between being extremely relaxed about the time and wanting to get downtown in time to spend some time at Pike's Place. So we will make a decision and alter our route that way. Thank you for all the excellent details!

Pike Place Market wraps up by about 6:00 in terms of the day stalls.

No matter what else you elect to do, take the Chuckanut Drive from Fairhaven to (roughly) Bow. It's the old highway and it's let's-shoot-a-car-ad-here pretty.

Unless.

Here's something like the "ultimate" map showing this route - https://goo.gl/maps/DWX2wApHeA12 . Note some of the points on the route are optional but added if you have enough time.

Steveston: This is Vancouver's fishing port, noteworthy for (a) being where the "Once Upon a Time" TV series is filmed (you'll see Vancouver in many, many TV shows, often masquerading as Seattle - filming is cheaper in Canada) and (b) where the little girl was grabbed by the sea lion in the recent video that went viral. Steveston is pretty cute, and has some good waterfront restaurants.

Fairhaven, Bellingham: Fairhaven is Bellingham's historic waterfront area, with numerous fine old buildings, cafes, galleries etc. Note Fairhaven is where the Alaska State ferry arrives and departs - file for future use.

Chuckanut Drive, aka WA SR 11: Chuckanut is fairly scenic but quite short, and with limited places to pull off. If you're oyster people, Taylor Shellfish Farms is partway down the road; they have retail and sit-down outlets in Seattle if you don't want to stop on the drive.

La Conner: This is an optional slight detour. La Conner is a very picturesque waterfront village with more galleries etc. This is ground zero in the spring during the tulip season in the Skagit Valley, but you'll find plenty of other visitors in the summer.

Deception Pass: This is one of the jewels of the Puget Sound region. The pass - the gap between Fidalgo and Whidbey Islands - is very scenic, with hiking trails, beaches, etc. - and if you're there at tide change, the water rushing through the channel under the bridges can be downright scary - VERY fast flowing.

083b.jpg

096b.jpg

Coupeville and Fort Casey: Coupeville is another picturesque waterfront town, and Fort Casey is another terrific state park, with a pretty lighthouse and fascinating coastal defense guns overlooking the Sound and out toward the Olympic mountains.

Langley: Yet another cute waterfront village (the nicest IMO) with more galleries, cafes, etc.

Mukilteo: A final cute town with a pretty lighthouse. The ferry from Whidbey lands in Mukilteo.

20140531_3Ha.jpg

Five minutes down the road from Mukilteo is the Future of Flight Center and Boeing tour base. The Everett Boeing facility is the home of the big jets and the plant is the biggest building in the world. https://www.futureofflight.org/

From there you're roughly thirty minutes from downtown Seattle, depending on traffic.

This is an all-day itinerary, but an immensely rewarding one, highly recommended.

Here's something like the "ultimate" map showing this route - https://goo.gl/maps/DWX2wApHeA12 . Note some of the points on the route are optional but added if you have enough time.

Steveston: This is Vancouver's fishing port, noteworthy for (a) being where the "Once Upon a Time" TV series is filmed (you'll see Vancouver in many, many TV shows, often masquerading as Seattle - filming is cheaper in Canada) and (b) where the little girl was grabbed by the sea lion in the recent video that went viral. Steveston is pretty cute, and has some good waterfront restaurants.

Fairhaven, Bellingham: Fairhaven is Bellingham's historic waterfront area, with numerous fine old buildings, cafes, galleries etc. Note Fairhaven is where the Alaska State ferry arrives and departs - file for future use.

Chuckanut Drive, aka WA SR 11: Chuckanut is fairly scenic but quite short, and with limited places to pull off. If you're oyster people, Taylor Shellfish Farms is partway down the road; they have retail and sit-down outlets in Seattle if you don't want to stop on the drive.

La Conner: This is an optional slight detour. La Conner is a very picturesque waterfront village with more galleries etc. This is ground zero in the spring during the tulip season in the Skagit Valley, but you'll find plenty of other visitors in the summer.

Deception Pass: This is one of the jewels of the Puget Sound region. The pass - the gap between Fidalgo and Whidbey Islands - is very scenic, with hiking trails, beaches, etc. - and if you're there at tide change, the water rushing through the channel under the bridges can be downright scary - VERY fast flowing.

083b.jpg

096b.jpg

Coupeville and Fort Casey: Coupeville is another picturesque waterfront town, and Fort Casey is another terrific state park, with a pretty lighthouse and fascinating coastal defense guns overlooking the Sound and out toward the Olympic mountains.

Langley: Yet another cute waterfront village (the nicest IMO) with more galleries, cafes, etc.

Mukilteo: A final cute town with a pretty lighthouse. The ferry from Whidbey lands in Mukilteo.

20140531_3Ha.jpg

Five minutes down the road from Mukilteo is the Future of Flight Center and Boeing tour base. The Everett Boeing facility is the home of the big jets and the plant is the biggest building in the world. https://www.futureofflight.org/

From there you're roughly thirty minutes from downtown Seattle, depending on traffic.

This is an all-day itinerary, but an immensely rewarding one, highly recommended.

Wow thank you so much!!

Saturday September 23rd
While Vancouver debarkation traffic should be minimal Saturday morning..... the border crossing delays may be significant on a Saturday morning between 9am and 2pm. Monitor the border waits in the preceeding weeks.... especially if the Canadian dollar surges.

Hmm, I see Coldplay has an evening concert.

http://www.centurylinkfield.com/event/coldplay/