Alcohol

sirebors

I am over 25 years old. I will be sailing on the Jewel of the Seas with my 20 year old wife. If I read the rules correctly, she is considered a minor and I have to get a "nortarized permission slip" from her parents stating that I will be in charge of her. I also have to fill out another "permission slip" stating it is alright for her to drink wine and beer. I find both of these rules ludicrous. Am I understanding them correctly? We both enjoy drinking Pina Colada's, Daquiries, etc. Can she drink these on the ship? Neither of us are heavy drinkers, we will not be getting drunk. Will she be able to purchase these drinks by the pool or during dinner? Will I be able to purchase them for her without jeopardizing getting thrown off of the ship? Any insight into this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

She will only be able to purchase beer or wine. You can buy her mixed drinks if you want to.

Hey, at least she can buy some alcohol at all. Other cruise lines she wouldn't be able to drink any alcohol at all until she is 21.

My unsolicited 2 cents is.....

Bring all required documentation but DONT OFFER IT UP!!!

Most likely what will happen is....NOTHING!

Your wife will be able to party and drink with the rest of them and not have to worry!!! (they really dont check...)

CYA with the required documentation but DONT OFFER IT UP!!

Betcha 'nothing' happens and you all have a rockin guud time!!!!

My first cruise I was 18 years old, sailing with my parents, and drunk on Long Island Iced Teas the whole time.

I really dont think it will be a problem.

Did you consider smuggling on a bottle of your favorite hard alcohol? Slip the bottle into the leg of a pair of jeans, then wrap the jeans around the bottle (maybe duct tape them too) and you have a back-up bottle 'just in case'.

Finish off a 16oz of cola, bring the empty with you and continuously pour rum into it and mix with coke that you get from the bar.

This plan of action also works out to be cheaper over the duration of the cruise.

I'm cheap! We went to costco and got HUGE bottles of dark rum and jack for our last cruise :D

Our bar bill was $50 for the week - and that was because we wanted the souvenier coffe mugs that they had to cold blended rum drinks in!!!

No worries though, bring the paperwork but dont offer. I think you will be just fine!

Happy sailing!!!

When I was 20 my boyfriend and I went on a cruise together. He was 26 at the time. We did not bring anything signed from my parents, however he had to sign something to state that he was allowing me to drink and that he was responsible for me. They punch your card once, showing that you can only buy beer and wine. At the time, I was not a big fan of either! I was all into the frozen and mixed drinks. My boyfriend just used his card for everything. I didn't even carry mine most of the time. NO ONE ever asked to see ID or anything. I also made sure to act responsibly - had I been a drunken mess someone may have had something to say! I have only seen one group of kids get carded on a ship, and it was to get the free vodka shots they give out! The kids were no more than 14 or 15...it was pretty obvious!

Have a great time!

As far as it being a silly rule (I will take no position on that here), consider that even though you are married, your wife is not legally old enough to buy or consume alcohol in most states. Being married doesn't change that law anywhere. The only difference here is that she will be able to "legally" have beer and wine. You do NOT need anything from her parents. Believe it or not, you will be considered "responsible" for her behavior. It will be you who signs the waiver for her to drink. (And I do realize how silly that sounds--what do they think, you're her father or something? Frankly, I find that part of it humiliating for the younger spouse...kind of makes them feel like they're 12 and need permission from their parents to stay out late.)

beachchick

So I can buy drinks FOR her and she can drink them without violating any rules? Is this correct? I'm not sure if I understand the reasoning. Explanations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

There should be no problems. We just got off the Jewel yesterday and if you are the one to offer the seapass to the bartender he will charge your card for both drinks. If she shows her card it most likely will have a hole punched in it stating she is under 21. My teens had 2 holes stating they were under 18.

I highly doubt you will have a problem. My 15 year old daughter was offered the drink of the day every day! She politely said....."no thank you" but obviously never bought one. As long as you are the one giving your card you shouldn't have any issues. Enjoy your trip!

I am over 25 years old. I will be sailing on the Jewel of the Seas with my 20 year old wife. If I read the rules correctly, she is considered a minor and I have to get a "nortarized permission slip" from her parents stating that I will be in charge of her. Any insight into this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

First of all, your wife is over 18 so she is not a "minor". And even if she was under 18 she is married which would make her an emancipated minor and you should need no letter from her parents.

As for the alcohol issues, my bet is that when you sign in as a married couple no one is going to pay any attention to her age and if they do just charge all the alcohol to your seapass.

Don't sweat the small stuff. Anything short of missing the ship pretty much qualifies as small stuff.:D

Ocean Boy: As far as the wife being over 18 and not needing anything from her parents that is of course correct. However, I'm afraid that your response regarding alcohol, while reasonable and optomistic, is incorrect.

RCI does care very much about ages. The wife's age will be on her booking and on her birth certificate or marriage certificate. Marital status is irrelavent to the issue of alcohol. The husband will be required to sign the waiver for his wife. There are no exceptions to this rule--not even for married couples. His wife will have 1 hole punched on her Sea Pass. Again, there are no exceptions regarding marital status. (Just as there are no exceptions for marital status regarding US alcohol laws on land.)

That said, I doubt that he would have any problems whatsoever buying any drink for his wife that she would like to have. If she tries to buy hard liquor, she would probably be denied since she would have to charge it to her Sea Pass, which will have the 1 hole punch (for 18-21, beer and wine allowed). I'm sure all hard liquor could be charged to her DH's Sea Pass.

sirebors: Have a great cruise. And try to make a joke about the whole "signing the waiver" issue with your wife (like that you know she's the one who's really in charge, etc.). She's likely to feel weird about it; I doubt she is enjoying the feeling that you are "in charge" of or in a parental position to her (I know I would not like it).

beachchick

Ocean Boy: However, I'm afraid that your response regarding alcohol, while reasonable and optomistic, is incorrect.

RCI does care very much about ages. The wife's age will be on her booking and on her birth certificate or marriage certificate. Marital status is irrelavent to the issue of alcohol.

Exactly why I said charge all the alcohol to his seapass if, in fact, this does become an issue.

Archived