Balcony vs Mini Suite

They don't automatically have a larger balcony. Most mini-suites have the exact same size balcony as the standard balcony cabins.

The minis on the Jewel class ships have balconies which are a little larger. You can see the bump out on Deck 11.

jewel-aerial1.jpg

I assume that you are talking about an older ship due to the reference to being below the Buffet. Probably Jewel Class?

Anyway, there are a few differences, but it's debatable whether it's worth the extra money. The room is a little bigger, but not much. In my opinion this is only really an issue if there are more than two people in the room. In that case the way the sofa bed works is better in the mini suites. There is also a curtain I believe (I've never actually had a room with this curtain).

The differences are fairly small though. Some differences in the bathroom for example. Personally, I only book a mini suite because there are 3 of us, and even in that case we usually go for the balcony and put up with the sofa bed issue.

Not all of the mini suites are below the buffet though. If you select carefully then you can get some decent locations. Don't go for a guarantee thought, unless you don't mind the risk of being below somewhere noisy.

I assume that you are talking about an older ship due to the reference to being below the Buffet. Probably Jewel Class?

Anyway, there are a few differences, but it's debatable whether it's worth the extra money. The room is a little bigger, but not much. In my opinion this is only really an issue if there are more than two people in the room. In that case the way the sofa bed works is better in the mini suites. There is also a curtain I believe (I've never actually had a room with this curtain).

The differences are fairly small though. Some differences in the bathroom for example. Personally, I only book a mini suite because there are 3 of us, and even in that case we usually go for the balcony and put up with the sofa bed issue.

Not all of the mini suites are below the buffet though. If you select carefully then you can get some decent locations. Don't go for a guarantee thought, unless you don't mind the risk of being below somewhere noisy.

Thank you! I did some research and this is pretty much what I thought. An extra $400 is not worth it to us as we don't spend a lot of time in the room. Thanks again!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'm unfamiliar with any differences in the sofa beds. Can you elaborate?

In a balcony room, the sofa bed is narrower. This means that the person sleeps with their head towards the wall and their body out into the room (so they are facing the same direction as the people in the main bed.

The result of this is that it largely blocks the balcony door. You can get out there, but it's a struggle and you could easily wake the person up.

In a mini suite, the extra room means that the sofa bed is wider. The person sleeps along the sofa. That means it doesn't come out into the room as much and doesn't block the balcony door.

When our son was younger we used to sit on the balcony after he had gone to sleep, so the balcony set up would have been a big problem. Now that isn't as much of an issue, but when we are in the balcony it does mean that we can't go out there in the morning if we wake before him.

On the Breakaway, there is not always a tub in the mini-suites. Only in the Family mini suites and you have to make sure of that when you book it. We booked a Family balcony and I thought it had a tub but found out after booking it that it did not. I never cruised on any balcony on any ship that didn't have a tub so that is why I never thought to ask. I was disappointed because I have back issues and a bath helps me sleep every night. Changing my resssie would have meant losing a lot of bonuses so I am just going to suck it up.