Booking in CDN or US

NOSaints1

I know on Princess you can book in CDN Dollars, but for the fellow Canadians is it better to book in CDN Dollars or US and is there a better deal by booking either or? What're the advantages and disadvantages of both?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think booking in CDN because my price is then locked in. I don't have to worry about changes in the rate of US dollars. Recently there was a spike where the rate was 1.39 (now we're back to about 1.36). I don't want to have to plan a few hundred more "just in case" the dollar goes wonky right when I have to pay.

For the past few months Princess has set the exchange rate for Canadian to 1.30, which is far better than the standard bank rate or even the official rate.

Plus, if you gift yourself any additional OBC, it is charged at the same rate of 1.30. Not sure how long things will stay at that rate but when you make a booking, the rate is locked in for that specific cruise so you know it won't fluctuate.

So yes, booking in Canadian is better and yes, you can add the Princess insurance.

Don

I agree, I booked in Cdn with Princess then looked at changing it out to a TA in the US who will only book in US - but the price he gave me was $400 higher when I went online to my bank and pretended to buy that much US$$. If our money was to improve significantly before we sail - 2019 - then we can always cancel the booking and re-book in US.

I think I will send myself some onboard credit if it is $1.30 rate for Princess. That is a great idea! thanks Mud_shark

For the past few months Princess has set the exchange rate for Canadian to 1.30, which is far better than the standard bank rate or even the official rate.

Plus, if you gift yourself any additional OBC, it is charged at the same rate of 1.30. Not sure how long things will stay at that rate but when you make a booking, the rate is locked in for that specific cruise so you know it won't fluctuate.

So yes, booking in Canadian is better and yes, you can add the Princess insurance.

Don

Thanks for this. In my cruise planner it lets me pay for the soda and more package at an exchange rate of $1.30 and the same exchange rate for my gratuities (still have to pay for the 3rd person but got the first two people free). I might buy us a little OBC since it will be at the lower exchange rate.