San Diego Mexican Riviera

Mekka

I am not seeing the point in cruising up to Puerto Penasco as I live in San Diego. All that cruising just to end up a few miles from Arizona! I would prefer to remain down in the tropics on a Mexican cruise.

igraf

The cruise would start and end at Rocky Point, but there are eight ports that can be reached from there. That includes Cabo, Mazatlan, and Puerto Vallarta. The ten day cruises that seem to be popular from South Calif call on those plus LaPaz and Loreto.

Topolobampo is also very reachable from Rocky Point.

I would be more than willing to book a cruise with that itinerary.

I am not seeing the point in cruising up to Puerto Penasco as I live in San Diego. All that cruising just to end up a few miles from Arizona! I would prefer to remain down in the tropics on a Mexican cruise.

igraf

But then you would miss the beauty of the Sea of Cortez which is absolutely stunning.

With Puerto Penasco only 60 miles from the closest border crossing, and 4 hours from Phoenix, it would make a great homeport.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The cruise would start and end at Rocky Point, but there are eight ports that can be reached from there. That includes Cabo, Mazatlan, and Puerto Vallarta. The ten day cruises that seem to be popular from South Calif call on those plus LaPaz and Loreto.

Me too. We cruised the Sea of Cortez and Mexico's Pacific coast for almost 5 years in our own sailboat and I would go back in heartbeat.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That makes more sense. I was thinking of the old round trip "Sea of Cortez" from San Diego.

Unfortunately, cruises that embark in Mexico near the USA have virtually vanished. There used to be interesting one-way cruises from Ensenada to Hawaii (via other cruise lines). This made a lot more sense than the round trips to Hawaii as there was more time in Hawaii and half the sea days. Unfortunately, people balked at the idea of being bused down to Ensenada and the border crossings became a hassle.

igraf

If we could figure out how to do a shore excursion to the Cave of the Crystal Giants on a Sea of Cortez cruise, I think we would have plan to fund the entire Mexican economy - one of the most extraordinary places I have ever seen in photos only - would love to visit the real thing: http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2008/11/crystal-giants/shea-text

Thank you Swedish Weave for the info. My husband and I have in the past driven a fair portion on both sides of the Baja peninsula. This to me is a very interesting area. Now I enjoy the cruise ship, and the Sea of Cortez is a beautiful area to cruise. Yes, I'd gladly start out at Rocky Point and board for a cruise of the area. But I'm not holding my breath.

Marianne