Tortula and Virgin Gorda review

wgeddings

I also appreciate your review of the Baths. It's great to have the pictures to go with it as well, so thank you for taking the time to do that. We have the excursion booked through Disney, but aren't usually a fan of doing the ship tours. If we do it on our own, how long do you recommend spending at the Baths once you reach them? How did you know what time to have the taxi pick you up? Did you just go based on the ferry schedule?

There is no reason to visit the Baths via the cruise ship excursions, very easy to go on your own. Your particular day depends on the ferry schedules which depend on your time in port and the day you are there. You may be able to avoid the biggest crowd if your port times allow that. You can also go to an "alternate" beach with similar topography and fewer people from the ship.

What day of the week are you in port, and what times?

I meant to add that too - about not using the cruise line excursions. I have found that excursions booked privately, mostly using recommendations from this Board, have been about half the cost of the ones through the ship and at least twice as fun. The cruise line does not care if you have a good time on an excursion since you are with a lot of other people and they will have a lot of other people the time the ship is in that port. Private operators depend on word of mouth for business so they go out of their way to be sure you have a safe and fun time and make it back to the ship in plenty of time. I love it when I am in a group of 15-20 doing something through a private tour and we see a busload of people from the ship tour disgorging at a site and milling around in confusion.

We are on the Escape and leave next Friday. Our port time in Tortola is 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. It appears Speedy's Virgin Gorda tour is 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Has anyone done an earlier tour that gets them back to the ship before 3 p.m.? I emailed Speedy's about a month ago, but never received a reply. Any information is appreciated.

Can't hep with any tours, sorry. Going on your own you have the Speedy's 9AM ferry to VG, and the 1PM departure from VG giving you about 3 hrs on VG. Speedy's offers packages that include the taxi on VG and even lunch in Spanishtown at the baths & Turtle if you want that. The ferry and taxi cost is the same on your own or with the package.

Edited by blue_water

Hi, appreciate all the helpful information. I have one question: we have our own snorkeling gear and plan on taxiing to various spots, but what does one do with one's stuff? A waterproof bag, I'm guessing?

I'm used to having a rental car to leave things in, or a tour where things can be secured.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Hi, appreciate all the helpful information. I have one question: we have our own snorkeling gear and plan on taxiing to various spots, but what does one do with one's stuff? A waterproof bag, I'm guessing?

I'm used to having a rental car to leave things in, or a tour where things can be secured.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Yes that is a concern when you don't have a secure car. I take it you're hitting different beaches on Tortola for snorkeling? If so there are 2 main beaches with good off the beach snorkeling, Smuggler's Cove and Brewers Bay. At SM there are no amenities other than a portapotty in the parking lot. Depending on the day of the week you may find a few local families as well as vacationers renting nearby villas, and probably no fellow cruisers. Although you may find a couple from the ship who are familiar with SM and rent a Jeep for the day. Smuggler's is arguably the nicest beach you'll see on your cruise. But you'd either want the driver to wait for you or return at a given time.

Since you have your own gear, I'd suggest grabbing a lunch and drinks at the French deli (La Baguette) in Wickham's Cay II and having a driver take you to Smuggler's and return later for you. Or just rent a Jeep for the utmost flexibility. The drive to SM is very easy, although the last mile is unpaved and you'd want the ground clearance of a 4x4. Most Jeeps are soft top but there are other more secure 4x4 vehicles.

If you decide to taxi you'll want to work with a driver to return at both SM and Brewers. At Brewers you will find a beach bar and more people and would want to secure your stuff. I've seen folks show links for lockable bags on Amazon that can be secured to a chair and possibly a tree and that might be the best option for you.

Edited by blue_water

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Blue Water

I never do ship excursions always use local people. However we are in Tortola from 7am- 1pm. Real short time on the Gem in April 2016. So this is the only time I have considered a ship excursion. Plus I have never been there so I have no idea if I could do this in such a short time. The 1 plus is that we are the only ship in port that day, so far. Really do not want to miss the ship.

Hi Blue Water

I never do ship excursions always use local people. However we are in Tortola from 7am- 1pm. Real short time on the Gem in April 2016. So this is the only time I have considered a ship excursion. Plus I have never been there so I have no idea if I could do this in such a short time. The 1 plus is that we are the only ship in port that day, so far. Really do not want to miss the ship.

Are you considering the Baths for your short day? If so there are other current threads with ferry options that will give you about 3 hrs on Virgin Gorda, I believe it was the Smith's ferry but you can check those other threads.

An island tour is also a nice option for Tortola - beautiful island and very reasonably priced by the drivers waiting at the dock.

Forgot to add that I also enjoyed reading wgedding's report. That same year was actually our very first trip to VG while we were staying on Tortola! Very nicely written, and I'm sure extremenly helpful to those visiting the Baths for the first time as well! ;)

Edited by blue_water

Are you considering the Baths for your short day? If so there are other current threads with ferry options that will give you about 3 hrs on Virgin Gorda, I believe it was the Smith's ferry but you can check those other threads.

An island tour is also a nice option for Tortola - beautiful island and very reasonably priced by the drivers waiting at the dock.

Yes was considering the Baths. Just don't want to miss the ship. SInce we are there for a few hours. I wished the time in port was longer. I will have to read the other report you mentioned as well. thanks

Try this thread, post# 8 has some ferry times.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2299542

The ferries are very reliable and they will add ferries when needed. But on a short port day when your return ferry times are limited I'd still return to the ferry dock on VIrgin Gorda a little early to get a spot in line.

Edited by blue_water