TVs in Cabin (on Breakaway) question

MrMike45

Anyone? Debating taking a DVD player. I know the TV in the balcony rooms are mounted on the wall, but have never brought a device (or looked at the TV for that matter) to see if it would be able to plug in.

Thank you both...and kind of figured as much. Bringing a DVD player would take away potential spending of movies they offer. Would just be nice to watch something other than the same 4 shows on constant loop on the "Favorite TV shows" channel, endless replays of the newlywed game in the Atrium, or the ever popular front of the ship channel when hanging out in the room.

Anyone? Debating taking a DVD player. I know the TV in the balcony rooms are mounted on the wall, but have never brought a device (or looked at the TV for that matter) to see if it would be able to plug in.
Yes, you can - for the balcony or mini-suite (and higher) as the HDMI 1 port is used for the "Sole TV" interactive TV signal.

You cannot switch to HDMI 2 or Component, etc. as it is firmware locked & default to it with every re-start or power up. Bring a 10' HDMI cable & you can connect - it's a little tight, a small LED flashlight would help you see a little better.

Had our travel Sony Viao (Win10Pro) hooked up to play MP4 (or, iPads with the adapter cable). You will disabled access to TV functions, obviously.

Click down under my SIGNnature for the 2016 BA Bermuda pictorial semi-live review for all the details. Feel free to ask questions.

P.S. I also managed to hookup my Roku 2016 Streaming TV stick on the Gem recently, it's more complicated setup, just to see (see that review's pix)

Some good advice above.

You have at least two issues on a ship or hotel.

1 - Physical access to the port. Can you actually get to it without taking the tv off the wall.

2 - Can you select the port/source that you need? Often they are programmed such that you can not change them. Not so much so they can get you to pay for a movie, but so they engineers are not constantly dealing with guests with TVs that are not working.

If you can swap out the ships connection to yours, you might be able to override #2 - unless the TV has some other programming inside it.

We travel with an IPAD that we can watch directly, or via a cable to the TV - if possible.

Yes, you can - for the balcony or mini-suite (and higher) as the HDMI 1 port is used for the "Sole TV" interactive TV signal.

You cannot switch to HDMI 2 or Component, etc. as it is firmware locked & default to it with every re-start or power up. Bring a 10' HDMI cable & you can connect - it's a little tight, a small LED flashlight would help you see a little better.

Had our travel Sony Viao (Win10Pro) hooked up to play MP4 (or, iPads with the adapter cable). You will disabled access to TV functions, obviously.

Click down under my SIGNnature for the 2016 BA Bermuda pictorial semi-live review for all the details. Feel free to ask questions.

P.S. I also managed to hookup my Roku 2016 Streaming TV stick on the Gem recently, it's more complicated setup, just to see (see that review's pix)

MKing - first amazing indepth review. Read thru it all, great pictures too. The only mention I saw of the HDMI setup was a picture of all your plugs/outlets and this paragraph. Unless I missed how you MacGyver'd setting it up?

Unlike the HDTV input in the balcony stateroom we stayed in last year, the Sole brand HDTV is tightly wall-mounted against the wall & there really was no "working" room to disconnect the HDMI-1 connector to use my our input/connection to stream music/video (standalone WiFi inTRAnet setup)

Some good advice above.

You have at least two issues on a ship or hotel.

1 - Physical access to the port. Can you actually get to it without taking the tv off the wall.

2 - Can you select the port/source that you need? Often they are programmed such that you can not change them. Not so much so they can get you to pay for a movie, but so they engineers are not constantly dealing with guests with TVs that are not working.

If you can swap out the ships connection to yours, you might be able to override #2 - unless the TV has some other programming inside it.

We travel with an IPAD that we can watch directly, or via a cable to the TV - if possible.

Yeah we have an IPad we can download a few movies. Have done that in the past. Was just wondering if there was a way to tap into the TV. Again, kind of makes sense that you can't. That is potential money being taken away from NCL

MKing - first amazing indepth review. Read thru it all, great pictures too. The only mention I saw of the HDMI setup was a picture of all your plugs/outlets and this paragraph. Unless I missed how you MacGyver'd setting it up?

Unlike the HDTV input in the balcony stateroom we stayed in last year, the Sole brand HDTV is tightly wall-mounted against the wall & there really was no "working" room to disconnect the HDMI-1 connector to use my our input/connection to stream music/video (standalone WiFi inTRAnet setup)

Mike, look at the Breakaway review from 2016, not the Gem review this April. There was room for my fat fingers to pull the connector. Had my Windows desktop on the big screen as a 2nd monitor.

via Nexus 5X on Nougat 7.1.2 using Tapatalk, VPN secured.

Mike, look at the Breakaway review from 2016, not the Gem review this April. There was room for my fat fingers to pull the connector. Had my Windows desktop on the big screen as a 2nd monitor.

via Nexus 5X on Nougat 7.1.2 using Tapatalk, VPN secured.

Ok thanks. I might be pinging you on here on Sunday when we're on board...especially if my hand gets stuck behind the TV

Ok thanks. I might be pinging you on here on Sunday when we're on board...especially if my hand gets stuck behind the TV
You are most welcomed, enjoy your own multi-media at sea ... it should be fairly straight forward. Also, see tips on WiFi internet/intranet - especially if you have the 250 minutes/1 GB data option included.

If you have one of those HDMI extender (comes with Chromecast & optional with some Roku sticks) - it will make it easier to re/connect during the week. Or, get one of these HDMI connector pack - the right angle bend make it easier to get into tight space (90 or 270 degree) ... for a few dollars from Amazon, with Prime shipping, you'll get it in 2 days in time to sail this Sunday.

https://www.amazon.com/DIZA100-4-Pack-Connectors-2-Pack-Adapters/dp/B01GFP4NQA/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1497982535&sr=8-4&keywords=HDMI+90+degree+connector

Enjoy Bermuda in the Atlantic, one of our favorite islands.