Tough hike to the Baths?

raider23

Hello all,

I have heard even with Speedy's taxi service there is still a difficult hike up to the Bath's. My wife has a bad back & I am afraid the hike might be too difficult for her. On the other hand I've read that the bath's are a sight not to be missed. Can someone please help ?!

Thanks,

Gary

Hello all,

I have heard even with Speedy's taxi service there is still a difficult hike up to the Bath's. My wife has a bad back & I am afraid the hike might be too difficult for her. On the other hand I've read that the bath's are a sight not to be missed. Can someone please help ?!

Thanks,

Gary

The hike down the baths is uneven and narrow, but it is not particularly tough. The hike back UP is a bit more challenging. There was someone on the trail the day we were there with a hip replacement, probably not a good idea.

If you do go, be sure to wear close toed shoes as the rocks are uneven and flip flop type shoes are unsafe. One could easily sprain an ankle. Not knowing your wifes condition, it is hard to say if she can handle it. It is not a long trail....if you move relatively quickly, it will take you less than 10 minutes down the trail. Allow most of the day to enjoy the area so you can stroll back up the hill to the Speedy's shuttle, rather than rush. One thing you could consider is sailing with Patouche (a sailing co. in Tortola that charters for the day for snorkeling) if they go to the Baths that day. They would approach the baths from the water. It is a LOVELY place that you should one day see. There may be other alternatives to getting there other than Patouche, but I dont know of many.

As Sheebah has said - it's hard to say with a back condition. However to put things in perspective, I hiked up and down to the Baths and THROUGH the Baths with 2 severly arthritic knees and an arthritic hip. I had proper footwear and I took it REALLY slowly but it was doable. I found people were very helpful and considerate. Going down to the Baths there was one slightly tricky spot were my husband had to assist me. Going THROUGH the Baths, my husband helped me and there are a couple of places were crouching down is necessary (I don't crouch well but I am short - so I could do this. The most challenging part of going THROUGH the Baths is near the beginning - so if you can make it down the hill - it is possible to go that far and see if you can make it through the difficult bit (if not it is possible to turn around at that point). At the other side of the Baths there is another path that goes back to the parking lot. It is a bit easier than the path down to the beginning of the Baths but it takes longer.

Raider23, I posted a review and some pictures if that will help you.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=260574

I agree with Sheebah and even someone with back problems trouble should be able to do it with no trouble, just go at a slow comfortable pace. The slipperiness is due to loose sand on the rock and is not a problem as long as you are aware of it and don't go too fast with slick shoes.

There are 2 paths down to the Baths (you are on a "cliff" at the parking lot but it is thick jungle growth so you cannot really see much from the parking lot). The easy path is clearly marked and is NOT the one with Devil in the name so it is easy to remember. It is about 350 yards according to a sign at the start of trail. Although Speedy's offers a package which includes a taxi to the Baths, there are other taxis so I do not want you to think that only Speedy's can get you there (though we used them and were very pleased). I had several misconceptions about the Baths before we went and hopefully my review will help make it clearer for you.

Good info wgeddings BUT it is a little inaccurate.

The Devil's Bay Path takes you to the 'other' side of the Baths (that is to say) "Devil's Bay beach". You can snorkel off the beach there and/or go through tha Bath's(to your right) in the "wrong" direction and end up at the Bottom of the Baths. The "Main" path that goes straight down from the "Top of the Baths" takes you to the little beach at the "bottom of the Baths". This is the one you took. From there you can snorkel and swim on that beach (better snorkeling at Devil's Bay though) OR you can go through the Baths (to your left) to Devil's Bay. At Devil's Bay you can snorkel and return to the parking lot either by going back the way you came - through the Baths and up the "main" path OR you can go up the path there. The Devil's Bay path is actually easier (not as steep as the main path) but it is longer.

When we went we took the "main" path down to the Baths, then went through the Baths to Devil's Bay and then took the Devil's bay path up to the parking lot.

Archived