Free wifi / crew

crisp1

On our last cruise we had free wifi for 2. We try to disconnect and just just check emails for the most part. It wasn't until our last day at sea that our favorite bar tender told us how he could only email family while in port- never had the ability to skype. I wish I knew this- I would have given this guy access to one of our free accounts and birth dates etc so he could skype with family- would have been better than a few dollars tip

I have seen a number of crew using skype on free wifi hotspots in port, esp. US food chain. We always ask the location in port from ship crews. The bartender may be referring to just a particular experience where it may be restricted, but not in all ports.

But it would have been nice if he was able to share your free wifi and used Skype while onboard.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Forums mobile app

I do not know about Celebrity, but some other cruise lines do provide WIFI to crew members at rates greatly reduced than what passengers have to pay.

Of course paying a little is still not as good as free and some crew members will limit Internet use to where they can get it for free in a port, assuming they can get off of the ship then.

On our recent transpacific, we talked to a crew member about staying in touch with family by internet. He said that Celebrity does provide wifi for crew members at a reduced price, but of course, free wifi in port is always popular!