Barcelona dinner spot

JoRoy218

We'll be doing an overnight in Barcelona prior to Med cruise, staying at Hotel Jazz. Anyone have a recommendation for a traditional Spanish place, perhaps with outside seating, for dinner? Thanks.

7 Portes was recommended for traditional Catalan food and wonderful Paella. We are planning on going at the end of our cruise but have never been.

My boss goes there every time he goes to Barcelona. He said you probably need reservations a couple of months in advance so I will. E contacting them in aug for our Oct trip. He said it's not to be missed.

Huh?... been going regularly to 7 Portes for years and I've never had any problem finding a table if you call a couple of days in advance, sometimes even just dropping by unannounced. Something else, of course, is if you want to eat there on a Friday or Saturday night, especially in summer. When exactly are you visiting?

Anyhow, there are over 15000 eateries in the city... from all sorts. This is a good resource: https://www.timeout.com/barcelona/restaurants

Thanks for the responses. I looked at various sources on places to eat and overwhelmed with the choices. The difficult decision is where do we go for the one evening we'll be there. Don't want to waste this opportunity.

We'll be there April 2018 on a Monday, boarding ship next day. Very brief visit, want to make the most of it.

7 Portes sounds perfect.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm following thread as we leave oct 16 on brilliance ... Still need help w hotel, centrally located, celebrating 35th anniversary. So don't wanna break the bank but don't want small dumpy hotel. Continental was recommended but wondering how it is now?

I'm following thread as we leave oct 16 on brilliance ... Still need help w hotel, centrally located, celebrating 35th anniversary. So don't wanna break the bank but don't want small dumpy hotel. Continental was recommended but wondering how it is now?

JoRoy218, we ate at a restaurant in Placa Reial off the Ramblas, a really nice spot after dark, I don't remember the name and there were several.

Ldanna, we're staying at the boutique Hotel Vasanta. It's practically around the corner from Placa Catalunya. We're using the aeroport bus to the square, then walk to the hotel. Friends recently stayed there and thought it was great. It's a small hotel and we booked a year in advance.

Good luck & have fun!

• 3 weeks later...

Ciutat Comtal it's NOT in La Rambla, it's located in Rambla Catalunya, which is another Boulevard north off Plaça Catalunya. Just sayin'.

The word "rambla" is Catalan -the local language- for "boulevard". The famous boulevard connecting the Columbus Statue with Plaça Catalunya is actually five different short boulevards linked together (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Rambla,_Barcelona), hence the reason why it's known to most Barcelonians as "Les Rambles" (the plural form in Catalan, meaning "the boulevards"). It's only the City Hall that most recently, and probably for marketing purposes, has commenced to name it in its singular form "La Rambla" in its publications and even replaced the street plaques to show the singular form. However, this is a very bad idea because it'll surely create confusion for you in many instances. If you (tourist) ask most people in Barcelona "how to go to la rambla?", the first reply you're gonna get is going to be "which one?" because, as I said earlier, 'rambla' just means boulevard and the city have plenty of those. In fact, there are quite a number of streets with the word 'rambla': Rambla Catalunya, Rambla Volart, Rambla del Raval, Rambla del Brasil, Rambla del Caçador... in fact, all district have at least one -and there are 10 of them! In short, to avoid confusion, I strongly recommend to use the plural form when referring to the famous one south off Plaça Catalunya.

And another piece of advice....some visitors have this (bad) habit of shortening names of places when they go abroad, not having a clue what they mean (if anything), and this is also a bad idea because more often than not you end up making no sense to any local and when asking for directions. Or even when looking up on the Internet... you won't get the appropriate information you're looking for. This is especially true with compound names, for example, if you say Sagrada when referring to Sagrada Familia, you're making no sense... 'sagrada' just means sacred... there are plenty of churches in Barcelona with the word sacred. For info, there are 243 churches in Barcelona. Think it as if we were referring to Saint Paul's as "saint"... "I wanna go to saint". Saint what? And the list goes on for other places that are often incorrectly shortened. So, if you want to get the help you need when asking, it's best to stick to the proper names :))

Edited by EnricM

Ciutat Comtal it's NOT in La Rambla, it's located in Rambla Catalunya, which is another Boulevard north off Plaça Catalunya. Just sayin'.

The word "rambla" is Catalan -the local language- for "boulevard". The famous boulevard connecting the Columbus Statue with Plaça Catalunya is actually five different short boulevards linked together (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Rambla,_Barcelona), hence the reason why it's known to most Barcelonians as "Les Rambles" (the plural form in Catalan, meaning "the boulevards"). It's only the City Hall that most recently, and probably for marketing purposes, has commenced to name it in its singular form "La Rambla" in its publications and even replaced the street plaques to show the singular form. However, this is a very bad idea because it'll surely create confusion for you in many instances. If you (tourist) ask most people in Barcelona "how to go to la rambla?", the first reply you're gonna get is going to be "which one?" because, as I said earlier, 'rambla' just means boulevard and the city have plenty of those. In fact, there are quite a number of streets with the word 'rambla': Rambla Catalunya, Rambla Volart, Rambla del Raval, Rambla del Brasil, Rambla del Caçador... in fact, all district have at least one -and there are 10 of them! In short, to avoid confusion, I strongly recommend to use the plural form when referring to the famous one south off Plaça Catalunya.

And another piece of advice....some visitors have this (bad) habit of shortening names of places when they go abroad, not having a clue what they mean (if anything), and this is also a bad idea because more often than not you end up making no sense to any local and when asking for directions. Or even when looking up on the Internet... you won't get the appropriate information you're looking for. This is especially true with compound names, for example, if you say Sagrada when referring to Sagrada Familia, you're making no sense... 'sagrada' just means sacred... there are plenty of churches in Barcelona with the word sacred. For info, there are 243 churches in Barcelona. Think it as if we were referring to Saint Paul's as "saint"... "I wanna go to saint". Saint what? And the list goes on for other places that are often incorrectly shortened. So, if you want to get the help you need when asking, it's best to stick to the proper names :))

WOW, you sure told us. I'm sure if the OP would like to visit any restaurant or site recommended here they would look up the exact address given that none were provided. So sorry I gave the incorrect "rambla" name. Here is the address: Rambla de Catalunya, 18, Barcelona 08007

@Island wannabe... I did not "tell you", I simply steered into the right direction and explained why for future references :) And you're totally right, my mistake, I did point that it was in Rambla Catalunya, but I didn't mention the number, sorry.

JoRoy218, we ate at a restaurant in Placa Reial off the Ramblas, a really nice spot after dark, I don't remember the name and there were several.

Ldanna, we're staying at the boutique Hotel Vasanta. It's practically around the corner from Placa Catalunya. We're using the aeroport bus to the square, then walk to the hotel. Friends recently stayed there and thought it was great. It's a small hotel and we booked a year in advance.

Good luck & have fun!

We ate there twice don't remember right off. One place we had Tapas and wine on a rainy afternoon loved it. Went back with friends the next night ate at one of the more high end places the wine was nice the food was over priced and really not very good.