Bug situation in Cuba

kloudamy

Can anyone who has been to Cuba recently tell me first hand if you had a lot(or little) of bugs to deal with? I'm interested if the Zika threat is as bad as the media and CDC say or if they're just being dramatic. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Can anyone who has been to Cuba recently tell me first hand if you had a lot(or little) of bugs to deal with? I'm interested if the Zika threat is as bad as the media and CDC say or if they're just being dramatic.

If you are going to be getting off the ship for a brief time in Havana, you may be relieved to know that the government sprays regularly for mosquitos. I don't bother wearing repellent and I have never gotten bitten in Havana or felt a mosquito even try for it.

If you are going to be in certain beach areas (Veradero, for example) at a particularly rainy time of year, staying in a casa particular with no door or window screens (screening material seems impossible to locate for purchase, as are nets, but I wasn't really shopping), you may encounter one (they also spray but the terrain is more difficult to treat). Taking B vitamins, starting before your trip, is supposed to help make you less attractive to them.

Personally I had more problems with the fast and tenacious no-see-ums (who can swarm your legs before you can reach the repellent after stepping out of the shower), which are not carriers of any disease, just bloody annoying. They seem to congregate at floor level in the corners of less used rooms. After-Bite was a blessing. There's extensive commentary on TA, so I'm not the only one they've feasted on.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Just returned from RCCL's first Havana overnight. The lack of bugs was notable!! We fully expected to be eaten alive as we are here in FL, but not a single bite. We stayed on the ship in the evening, but spent much of the time on our forward facing balcony, overlooking the city. Again, not a single bug.

Can't say if this is typical, but it was our experience. Undoubtedly the bugs would be more prevalent in areas where there is more vegetation.