Brugge

talyanka

We are going to visit Brugge during our cruise in June. We are planning to do it on our own and have some places on our list as Chocolate museum, Diamond museum, Half Moon brewery. Has anybody been in these museums before. I would like to know your opinion is it really worth to visit or it’s only a tourist trap. Also what do you think about other tourist attractions there as canal boat tour and horse drawn carriage tour? Could you really get some information about the city from these tours?

talyanka: you have chosen well! We went to Brugge last July in advance of our cruise out of Amsterdam. We flew into Schipol, checked our big luggage at the luggage storage area and then caught a train to Brugge, connecting through Antwerp. It is about a 3.5 hour train ride. Visiting Brugee was the highlight of our trip--it is a wonderful place. We stayed at the Crowne Plaza-very nice hotel, conveniently located.

We did not visit the museums you mentioned but used Rick Steve's book on Amsterdam, Brussels and Brugge---he really nails it, IMO. We took the canal tour and really enjoyed that. DW wanted to shop more than see the museums due to her love of lace . . . . . . . and chocolate! HEAVEN for both. The horse carriage rides looked very enjoyable. We walked all over Brugge, even in the central shopping district with the locals.

I recommend that you consider using Rick Steve's book-he lays out a marvelous walking tour of Brugge and points out things you would miss seeing/appreciating otherwise. We had lunch at the Flemish Pot, an off-the-beaten path restaurant he listed that was awesome. Regardless of what you choose to see and do there, I think you will really love Brugge. We will be visiting Brugge again in April while on a river cruise---DW is delighted to be going back to lace heaven!

I can also send you the name of a tour operator that does a very good "triple treat tour" which consists of Belgian waffle, belgian beer, and belgian chocolate as part of the tour. I believe the name is quasimodo. email me at mtemple212@excite.com

Thank you for your information. Found this tour operator. Unfortunately they do not have this tour on the day of our arrival to Brugge, so we have to do it on our own.

Tatyana.

• 1 month later...

I have not been to the museums you mention in Bruges, but I have visited the town twice and plan on being there a third time in June. I took the canal tour once, and I recommend it, but for me the best thing to do in Bruges is to wander the streets, possibly on an itinerary such as that outlined by Rick Steeves or in other guidebooks, and take in the unique atmosphere of a place that is to some degree frozen in time.

• 2 weeks later...

Brugge is a wonderful town and very easy to visit. I found that there is more to experience by wandering the streets and alleys of Brugge than in a museum. You can certainly create your own "triple treat tour". There are plenty of good pubs, restaurants and chocolate shops to choose from!

Archived