Sony CyberShot DSC-P200 or Nikon Coolpix 7900?

karen_g

Please help me make a decision. I am looking for a very compact/portable point-and-shoot camera for use mainly on vacations. The largest prints I will likely make are 5x7s. While most of my photos will be outdoors, I do like to take indoor shots at dinner or inside around the ship (plus I like to take photos of the family at home). It has to be very easy to use. I am a complete beginner. After doing what seems like a ton of research, I think I have narrowed the field to the 2 cameras listed above. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

Karen, I have the Nikon 7900 and like it a lot. It's very easy to use, however I have other Nikon coolpix cameras so there was not much of a learning curve. Also, the Sony cameras that I've seen have also been easy to use/learn so I don't think you can go wrong with either. With that said, both cameras are 7 plus megapixel cameras, and since you won't be making prints larger than 5x7, you may be purchasing too much camera. A good 4 megapixel camera will run you a lot less and you'll get great 5x7...even 8x10 prints.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your reply, Stranger1. You're right. I don't really need a 7 megapixel camera. After much deliberation and research I decided to get a Nikon Coolpix 4600, which is a 4 megapixel camera. I've read the reviews and I know that it has some problems like not-so-great low-light capability and very long flash recycling. Still, the price was great at $150. And I got it at Target which has a 90 day no-questions-asked return policy as long as you have your receipt. So I figured that if I don't love it I can return it and get something else (I was also looking at the Cannon DS400 Digital ELPH at twice the price). I really hope that the Coolpix 4600 will be ok tho.

Karen

Thanks for your reply, Stranger1. You're right. I don't really need a 7 megapixel camera. After much deliberation and research I decided to get a Nikon Coolpix 4600, which is a 4 megapixel camera. I've read the reviews and I know that it has some problems like not-so-great low-light capability and very long flash recycling. Still, the price was great at $150. And I got it at Target which has a 90 day no-questions-asked return policy as long as you have your receipt. So I figured that if I don't love it I can return it and get something else (I was also looking at the Cannon DS400 Digital ELPH at twice the price). I really hope that the Coolpix 4600 will be ok tho.

Karen

Archived