LIVE! Koningsdam 25 June 2017

HUNKY

Not really LIVE!...Anywho, I'll let you know about our wonderful day touring the countryside and fjords near Flam. This was our first port after leaving Amsterdam on Sunday, June 25th. Back in March 2017 I booked our transport for "Norway in a Nutshell" online with fjordtours. HAL wanted $149 for just the trip on the Flamsbana railway. The Nutshell tour was 1,270 NOK (Norwegian Krone) per person, or $150.

The itinerary was as follows: depart Flam at 10:00, arriving Gudvangen at 11:30, via the premium boat (a new vessel, partially electric). Time in Gudvangen to enjoy lunch and shop for souvenirs. At 13:20 we took the public city bus to Voss, arriving at 14:35. Departed Voss at 14:41 on the Bergen Railway headed to Myrdal, arriving at 15:32. At Myrdal we switched trains to the Flamsbana leaving at 15:59 arriving back in Flam in plenty of time at 16:55, for our 530PM all aboard.

Our ticket book (like an old airline ticket book) needed to be picked up at the Flam railway station. You could bring a printout of your confirmation/reference number. You could show the confirmation on your cell phone. I brought both. At the railway station there were many unprepared tourists. They didn't know what they wanted to do (Flamsbana, Fjord cruise, etc.) Whole families or groups were in line together, thus clogging the area. There were maybe five groups in front of me, yet it took over 45 minutes to pick up my tickets. Note that for the Nutshell you need to be in the RAILWAY line, this is the line at the FAR RIGHT. Once I got to the correct line, it literally took less than two minutes to have my ticket book printed. So glad I was in line over an hour before the fjord boat left.

You will note the short connection time in Voss. Six minutes! I Googled the train station at Voss and noted that the bus and train station is one in the same! Step out of the bus, thru the station, and onto the train. Easy! One minute!

Uh oh! There is construction and the bus drop off is five minutes away from the train! Walking quickly, but not running we had a moment to spare. In fact, the train left one minute late.

Norway in a Nutshell day, Flam.

The weather was spectacular! Almost warm in the sun. Very few clouds. We spent the entire trip on the fjord cruise outside on deck. It was somewhat chilly, but we had our fuzzy jackets on. Oodles of thin, wispy waterfalls on both sides, along with the occasional hamlet. Aurlandsvagan, Undredal and Drydal were incredibly small. We had time for al fresco lunch at the Gudvangen Fjordtell. The city bus to Voss was right around the corner and exactly on time.

Comfortable bus with reclining seats and foot rests. Unfortunately, the driver did not have enough time to take the narrow roadway to Myrdal. He did however point out sights along the way in English! We passed the gorgeous lake known as Oppheimsvatnet. The bus stop was not in front of the train station due to construction. A quick walk to the train, although the train departed one minute late.

The train was very clean, quiet and comfortable. Passing thru small clusters of homes, usually with the tracks parallel to water of some kind. We arrived in Myrdal with time for a bottle of water and a quick trip to the bathroom. At Myrdal there were at least two shorex groups from the ship.

The Flamsbana is an awesome train ride down the mountains to Flam. Views from both sides are great. A quick stop at the Kjosfossen roaring waterfall is fun! Arriving back at Flam with plenty of time to stop at the shops.