When can kids roam the ship alone?

amyhphoto

I allowed my son to sign himself out of the kids club at 12 years old and was allowed to go to the arcade on his own and to the sports deck for a set amount of time and had to check back with me at the set time and before he could go from one place to another. One night he wanted to go to a late night movie in the kids club and I allowed him to do so only because his then 2 year old sister was asleep. He had a great time on the ship and enjoyed his freedom. I have to add he is very tall for his age, looks older and is very mature and well behaved. HOWEVER a year or so after returning home I saw a special on 20/20 about a 12 year old girl on a Disney Cruise who was sexually assaulted by a staff member in an elevator while in an elevator on her own. The entire ordeal was caught on video. As a parent I could never live with myself had this been my child. My son is now 14 6ft tall, I am not sure that I would allow him to go to and from anywhere on the ship at nite alone(since there are less people around granted anything could happen at anytime; the Disney assault video made me reconsider things a bit.

On just about every cruise we come in contact with groups of unsupervised "roaming" children. Most times they are fine but many times we have crossed paths with those who were not.

I am not anti-children but please understand that turning your children loose on a ship for hours on end does not always bode well for other cruisers.

While I am sure all of you believe your child is well behaved, more often than not if you put them with a group of new friends who are a bit daring they will almost always go along just so they fit in.

We just got off Grand Princess yesterday on a cruise that had a pack of boys, about a dozen of them ages from 11 to 15, running around the ship completely unsupervised. They were rowdy, and bordering on troublemakers. There was one night when a balloon drop was part of the celebration in the central foyer. The announcer suggested that people have fun batting around the balloons. When the balloons dropped, several of these trouble makers deliberately popped as many balloons as they could reach, many times pushing someone aside just as they were about to bounce it. This was about 11:00 in the evening.

These same boys were seen throwing food on floors, pushing chairs into the walkways to block people, running around inside and outside, and even jumping from the edge of the hot tubs into the pool - a very dangerous thing to do. Other times they were seen "roaming" around the top decks shouting as loud as they could, and even throwing towels into the pools.

Not once did I see a staff member discipline them. And not once did I see any parent do so as well. This went on for the full 10 days.