is cabin 8181 FV Summit worth the money?

cruiseorbust

We had 8181 on Millie earlier this year. The extra cabin space is nice, as is the huge balcony. Having never been to Alaska, I can't comment on how much you will use the balcony, but the extra cabin space was wonderful. There was a thread with pictures of the FV cabin on CC earlier, perhaps if you search the old threads you can find it.

This is kind of subjective. We have just come off a cruise in September on the Constellation, having stayed in 8181. We have also stayed in regular CC aft cabins. While the corner FVs are very nice (we try and get these on every cruise), the aft CC cabins are also good sized and have large balconies. If there are only two of you, I guess you would have to decide if it is worth the diffrence in price. Also the FVs do not have the CC upgrades, which seem to be important to some and not to others.

The only drawback we had in 8181 was the awful smell of smoke in the hallway area between the inside cabin door and the outside cabin door. We had to have the cabin steward correct this several times, with not much success. This was due to a person in the FV next to us who was a cigar smoker.

Bill: how would the cigar smoke get from the FV next to you, all the way into the little hallway from your outer door to the inner door? It looks like the little hallway is on the other side of 8181?

How did the cabin steward get the smell to go away?

We will be traveling with a grandaughter severly allergic to cigarette smoke.

HI,

I know strange but true. There was no smell of smoke inside the cabin just in that little hallway and, of course, on the balcony when he was smoking on his balcony. Perhaps the way the ventilation ducts are run in the ship????. I am not sure what the cabin steward used to temporarily remove the smell. Probably just the air freshener that they use in all the cabins to remove stale smoke smell.

We were lucky enough to stay in 8181 on Summit on two consecutive cruises (one in January in the Caribbean and the second the following summer in Alaska) when Summit had it's inaugural season. It's our all time favorite cabin. Would I spend the extra $$$ they are charging now? Probably not....but it sure is a wonderful cabin.

Good luck with your decision!

Just wondering if #8181 on the Summit is worth the extra money for an Alaskan cruise in May.

Anyone have any pictures?

Space, the final.. no, nevermind that...

What you get for your money is SPACE. You'll have a bigger cabin than a Sky Suite. You'll have more veranda than a Sky Suite. You'll pay LESS than for a Sky Suite. So starting from there, you know you've got yourself a bargain.

What you don't say is how many are in your group, and while all that space is dandy for just a couple, it becomes a LOT more important when you're stacking 4 or 5 in the cabin. If you're travelling with more, then yes, I think you'll be VERY happy for the extra space in an FV cabin, regardless of the itinerary. Pictures are available at the link in my signature line, below.

We had one of the FV's on Deck 9 for our Infinity Alaska trip in July... likely a good bit warmer than when you'll be there. One thing for certain -- you'll find it a truly dandy spot when you reach whichever glacier(s) you'll be visiting, but plan to bundle up!

thanks everyone for your suggestions and pictures!!! Looks wonderful, can't wait! By the way, there will be four of us in the cabin
With 4, you've made a good choice. You've got a whole bunch of interior space to spread out, especially in the 'corner' FV. That will buy you roughly an additional 3' of length in the cabin vs. the 'inside' FVs (and an extra bit of closet space!) and the "secret hallway" (did you note that particular picture?) to stash some of your suitcases, etc. if it doesn't all fit under the queen bed. Very good choice.

Archived