Tahiti vs. Caribbean?

gdoyle

Is the extra expense and travel time from the east coast worth it to cruise on Tahitian Princess versus longer Caribbean cruises?

We've done western,eastern and southern Caribbean before and are looking at different destinations.

Also any opinions on comparing the cruise experience versus land based vacation to Tahiti and other south pacific islands?

We have a deposit for 7/2/06 cruise on Tahitian Princess.

Tahiti is a no brainer. Land holidays there can be excellent but very expensive. The Cook Islands nearby are a better buy and Aitutaki is the most beautiful place I have ever seen and that icludes the TP itinerary, and several Hawaiin and Great Barrier Reef islands. Many long time cruisers on this board have said the TP was their best ever. We loved our FP cruise

Cheers,

Andy

I asked this same question about six month ago, and the response was totally overwhealming. I booked the TP for August 2006 almost 15 months in advance, due in large part to that fateful thread. It seems that people who have been to FP (and I have not yet) say it is "hands-down" the best cruise, and wins ten times over the Carribean (which I happen to enjoy a lot - so I have very high expectations for FP . . .)

It is also very clear on these boards that cruising in FP is the best value, as things are very expensive on the islands (food especially, whcih is, of course, one of the great values of a cruise).

So, good luck! And I'll post a review as soon as I get back . . . . in September 2006, that is!!!!

Ohhhh! I forgot to mention, I am in Boston. Right now, airlines are offering incredible flight deals. Jet Blue or Song - can't recall which one at the moment - has a current promotion where you book two or more people (e.g. me and DH) and they fly you to Ft. Lauderdale or WPB (great places to board a wonderful Carribean cruise, coincidentally) for $39 each, ROUND TRIP!

Point is, I am going to pay $1100 each R/T to get to Tahiti, versus $39 R/T to board a Carribean crusie - these boards have convinced me that it IS INDEED WORTH IT!!!

Sorry, had a cup of coffee at work after 3pm . . makes me hyper, and I'm already so excited writing about FP to begin with . . . .

we have enjoyed our Caribbean cruises, but the locations really don't come close to FP. I believe it is well worth the expense to go at least once. we are going our third time in 13 more months. If you are a snorkeler/ diver, you will be spoiled forever.

Wow, I get the message loud and clear. I booked the TP for 7/2/06. The countdown begins.

We also are planning a post cruise stay (one week) in New Zealand. Flight costs to Tahiti and New Zealand are reasonable when combined. Although not a cruise question.... but any advise on planning the New Zealand portion of the trip?

FP is quite special and was well worth the extra flying time and expense. You won't regret taking this cruise. We will be doing a NZ/Aus cruise in February and will hopefully have some recommendations in the review we will write. You might want to check out the Aus/NZ port board for info on NZ. It isn't very active, but there is a lot of info there to digest.

Hi -

Last year we found a really great deal with Air Tahiti Nui. We went to NZ prior to our cruise in FP. We paid about $1100.00 for air & a campervan rental for 10 days. This gave us a free stopover in Tahiti for our cruise. We had a blast. We stayed on the North Island. There is so much to see and do there and the people are incredible (nicest people on earth).

The roads in NZ are very narrow and curvy so a place may only be 200 kilometers away but it takes forever to get there. Don't plan on travelling too far. Do lots of research and don't miss the Glowworm Grotto (the Blackwater rafting trip is incredible).

I agree with the post that said that Aitutaki is the most beautiful place on earth. The lagoon even puts Bora Bora's to shame.

Also, once you have been to the South Pacific, you will never want to go back to the Carribean (or even Hawaii) again. The unspoiled beauty, the people, the water, --- I could go on for hours.

3 months 'till we go and I'm dreaming of lagoons and motus.

Sandra

Wow, I get the message loud and clear. I booked the TP for 7/2/06. The countdown begins.

We also are planning a post cruise stay (one week) in New Zealand. Flight costs to Tahiti and New Zealand are reasonable when combined. Although not a cruise question.... but any advise on planning the New Zealand portion of the trip?

We are from Christchurch, New Zealand, and have also booked the 2 July 2006 cruise - our first. I would suggest flying into Auckland and one week in the North Island and one in the South. You realise it will be mid winter and freezing at that time of the year, that's why we are going to Tahiti. If you are into skiing then it will be the right time and as I am biased have to say the South Island has lots to offer, especially Queenstown. Lots of adventure tourism - bungy jumping, jet boats, etc. and wonderful scenery. Hope you can make it.:)

Archived