Looking for R class Main deck vs Dolphin deck opinions

I'm comparing two rooms on main vs dolphin deck on the Zaandam for next summer - E1839 on Dolphin and DA2561 on Main. Both are the same distance from the front of the vessel and appear to be directly above/below one another. What compelling arguments can you all offer me either for or against either deck, other than the obvious cost difference between a DA / E category :D

Both good choices... The Main deck OV can have early morning walkers overhead as well as early morning deck washing. The Dolphin deck can have machinery below, which I have had but it has always been very transient, short lived; once it was subtle and once it wasn't but neither was a deal breaker. We like to be low to the water, I enjoy watching the waves and the flying fish from the lowest level. Being on Main it's just one flight up to the outside. I'd probably take the cheaper room and enjoy the money some other way, but that's just me. Again, both good choices! Nice to have such decisions to deal with :) Enjoy, m--

Thanks for the feedback. There is only a $100pp difference for a 14 night cruise so am inclined to stay with the Main deck room we have (2561). I had also considered Lower Promenade deck rooms but felt for the longer sailing the extra storage in the Main/Dolphin deck rooms would be handy and that the small amount of extra square footage might also be nice. That said I did enjoy staying on the Lower Promenade when I sailed the Ryndam for ease of access to the public areas and the Promenade, so maybe I'm short changing myself by going lower than that???

Have stayed in 1825 on the Dolphin deck several times and had no issues with noise of any type; machinery or overhead. The cabins on the Dolphin deck can tend to be longer with full couches as a 'fatter' part of the ship. Also like coming in from a port, go one flight up and I am 'home'. Also love the waves right outside the window - the dolphins pacing the ship one morning were amazing!

Have stayed in 1825 on the Dolphin deck several times and had no issues with noise of any type; machinery or overhead. The cabins on the Dolphin deck can tend to be longer with full couches as a 'fatter' part of the ship. Also like coming in from a port, go one flight up and I am 'home'. Also love the waves right outside the window - the dolphins pacing the ship one morning were amazing!

Was there any issue with motion in this area?

We were is Amsterdam 3331, looks equivalent to 3329 on Zaandam behind the elevators and next to the Hotel Manager's office - a very quiet neighbor to have!, very close to just above your Main deck option. DH got a bit seasick on the night coming up the coast (north) into San Diego returning from Panama Canal. The chop was very rough that night and threw me around while I was trying to pack. I'm not sure it would have been better anywhere else on the ship, the whole ship was jumping.

If you are considering a Lower Promenade deck room, have you thought about an Inside on LP? They are larger than the LP outsides, have a full couch and more closets. I found the views from the OVs on LP to be poor at best, and with an inside on LP you'd be just steps from the outside anyway. I know Insides aren't for everybody but it may be worth a thought. m--

While I would be perfectly happy booking an interior on Lower Promenade I am traveling with my mother who insists she needs at least a window of some sort - not so much for the view but for the sense of night/day it provides.

I have strongly considered the rooms you described (3329/31) on Lower Promenade. My mother is a light sleeper however and I worry that early morning deck washing, chair arranging, people talking, etc may disturb her (I however could sleep through the end of the world). The noise concerns are also part of my interest in the Dolphin deck rooms. Personally I prefer to be higher up and closer to public areas and less reliant on elevators. However this trip is Mom's dream vacation so am basing room choice on what's best for her. Now if a Vista Suite became available at a fare I could afford that would end all my quibbling over deck location :D

We actually stayed in 1839 on the Zaandam in 2003 - though it was a long while ago we don't recall any issues. We had a great cruise.

We have also spent many nights on the main deck and dolphin deck on the Amsterdam. We do not recall any issues on main deck with early morning walkers above us on the promenade deck. We have heard minor noises from below us in dolphin deck cabins (for us not an issue) and one time we had a dolphin deck cabin in the rear third of the Amsterdam - we were over the incinerator which had had a small fire in the recent past and our cabin was far too hot at times to inhabit (we were moved to more hospitable quarters) but that was a temporary issue.

We do not like the promenade deck cabins - not only because they are smaller but because of the noise from the promenade as well as the lack of privacy. Once in a promenade deck cabin near an exit we had to listen to the outside doors slam at all times of day and night.

Not anything extraordinary - have found that lower decks have less motion as there is minimal side to side sway that you find in higher decks. There is not a lot of bucking the waves. I tend to get sea sick and now only book lower decks and that is my favorite cabin.

We were is Amsterdam 3331, looks equivalent to 3329 on Zaandam behind the elevators and next to the Hotel Manager's office - a very quiet neighbor to have!, very close to just above your Main deck option. DH got a bit seasick on the night coming up the coast (north) into San Diego returning from Panama Canal. The chop was very rough that night and threw me around while I was trying to pack. I'm not sure it would have been better anywhere else on the ship, the whole ship was jumping.

If you are considering a Lower Promenade deck room, have you thought about an Inside on LP? They are larger than the LP outsides, have a full couch and more closets. I found the views from the OVs on LP to be poor at best, and with an inside on LP you'd be just steps from the outside anyway. I know Insides aren't for everybody but it may be worth a thought. m--

We were in Lower Promenade Cabin 3326 and this is probably our favorite cabin for convenience and just a few steps to go outside to the deck for walking or taking photos or relaxing in lounge chairs. But insides are larger and like someone else said, you would only be a short distance to go outside and it would be a little quieter and smoother more than likely. In the outside cabins you might be bothered by early morning cleaning of the deck and walkers. I am up early so did not bother me but not true for all.

• 1 year later...

I read an excellent review of very quiet any direction E1839 awhile ago and on account of that have booked it for my Alaskan cruise next month.. I have just read a recent , dreadful review of E1832 other side of ship plagued by noise not only from an extremely noisy next door neighbour but continuous very loud machinery noises below - it might be the crew metal workroom like they have on Princess ..

Of course I could get noisy neighbours too who knows.Always take earplugs in case.

DO NOT BOOK E1832 and if you have change it if you can !!..