Any POA Excursions Worth Booking Through NCL?

BayGirl22

We're doing POA in November and have the $50 per day excursion credit. Wondering if its even worth using that credit as it seems like most ports have plenty we can do on our own for cheaper by renting a car. We're a family of 4, kids will be 6 and 8. So any NCL excursion for all of us will cost much more than $50. Husband and I could do something on our own for one day and leave the kids at Splash Academy (they tend to prefer this and its our anniversary) if there's something really amazing to do for adults only.

Are any of the NCL-provided excursions unique and worth the $$? TIA

We typically don't book excursions through the ship as a rule as we tend to find them more expensive and more crowded than when we book on our own. When we did this cruise we rented cars in most ports and did our own thing. We did book an NCL excursion in Kona as it is a tender port and we felt more comfortable having it through the ship in case we had to wait for a tender. We booked the Kayak/Snorkel trip and actually had a great time. There were only about 9 people on the trip and we really enjoyed it.

The port is right down town so honestly you don't need an excursion in Kona; however, we did enjoy ours. Also, while in the other ports we felt perfectly comfortable going out on our own in a car; it was really nice not to have to worry about arrangements and trying to get on an early tender in Kona as NCL arranges your tender time if you are on their excursion.

I know some people have found booking a luau through the ship to be worth it (if you are planning on doing one) as they would rather not drive back to the ship at night. We didn't do one so I can't comment.

One of my favourite excursions ever was the one we took in Hilo with POA. It was the crater hike and Akaka Falls. The hike itself is probably too much for kids that young. I don't remember if there were age limits. It wasn't dangerous though, so maybe they could do it. We hiked down into the volcano then across the crater and then back up. We also visited the museum and lunch was provided there (sandwiches, chips, etc.). Then we went to the falls where we walked along trails. It was a small van so there were the 4 of us and 2 other couples. We passed a place where they roast their own coffee. We asked if we could have a coffee break. Since it was such a small group, and everyone wanted to do that, we did. Best coffee! We also stopped at the factory where they make macadamia kisses. If you are planning to buy some anyway, this place had the best prices.

I believe you can only do that excursion through the ship. It was an awesome day! My kids still talk about it (they were 19 and 22 at the time - not small kids).

We typically don't book excursions through the ship as a rule as we tend to find them more expensive and more crowded than when we book on our own. When we did this cruise we rented cars in most ports and did our own thing. We did book an NCL excursion in Kona as it is a tender port and we felt more comfortable having it through the ship in case we had to wait for a tender. We booked the Kayak/Snorkel trip and actually had a great time. There were only about 9 people on the trip and we really enjoyed it.

I know some people have found booking a luau through the ship to be worth it (if you are planning on doing one) as they would rather not drive back to the ship at night. We didn't do one so I can't comment.

We are the same way, planning to rent cars in most ports but I feel like I should use that credit at least once.

Do you remember where the Kayak/Snorkel trip goes? I'm looking at snorkeling trips there but I can't find a Kayaking trip through NCL. (Maybe its seasonal?) I do see a kayak trip from Hilo.

Good idea to check out the Luau options too. I'm trying to figure out when we can fit that in between Oahu/POA/Aulani.

One of my favourite excursions ever was the one we took in Hilo with POA. It was the crater hike and Akaka Falls. The hike itself is probably too much for kids that young. I don't remember if there were age limits. It wasn't dangerous though, so maybe they could do it. We hiked down into the volcano then across the crater and then back up. We also visited the museum and lunch was provided there (sandwiches, chips, etc.). Then we went to the falls where we walked along trails. It was a small van so there were the 4 of us and 2 other couples. We passed a place where they roast their own coffee. We asked if we could have a coffee break. Since it was such a small group, and everyone wanted to do that, we did. Best coffee! We also stopped at the factory where they make macadamia kisses. If you are planning to buy some anyway, this place had the best prices.

I believe you can only do that excursion through the ship. It was an awesome day! My kids still talk about it (they were 19 and 22 at the time - not small kids).

Thanks, that trip looks amazing. Looks like its 10 and over, too bad. My kids are strong hikers, just did that distance in the Grand Canyon so I think they'd be fine. Maybe we'll still look for that trail and go there ourselves. I love the coffee stop!