Fjords Cruise with 21 month old toddler

girlonascooter

Hi all

I haven't posted in a while so please be kind! Not new to cruising but this will be our first cruise with our daughter who will be 21 months. We are on Azura from 12th Aug for a week to Fjords. Stavanger, Alesund, Olden and Bergen are the actual stops plus a couple of cruise through fjords.

Im basically after any hot tips for cruising with a young person. Is there anything we should take with us that we might not think to take that could prove a god send?

Does anyone have any family friendly recommendations for the ports too? We are outdoorsy people and enjoy a good walk but daughter is not old enough to walk too far herself yet so needs to be carried or in a buggy.

thanks in advance for your wisdom!

Edited by girlonascooter
typos

Will be watching this thread with interest as my other half is expecting and we are about to head on our final cruise 'alone' (the Azura sailing just before yours in fact).

We are wondering how suitable cruising will be once there's a little person tagging along.

Out of interest, what sort of fare do P&O charge for a 21month old?

Will be watching this thread with interest as my other half is expecting and we are about to head on our final cruise 'alone' (the Azura sailing just before yours in fact).

We are wondering how suitable cruising will be once there's a little person tagging along.

Out of interest, what sort of fare do P&O charge for a 21month old?

I can't remember the exact amount but it was in the region of a couple of hundred pounds for her to join us.

I'll be sure to write a review of how it goes for you! Enjoy your cruise. I'll wave to you as we crossover!

We went last August with our 15 month old grandson and he loved every minute, especially the attention he got from the MDR waiters as well as the other passengers, he became quite a show off.

We did not do any organised shore excursions, but the ports you are visiting are all reasonably accessible for a buggy, Olden does not have much except wonderful scenery, although there is now the Loen sky lift fairly close by and I believe there is a bus runs from Olden.

The other 3 have more attractions which I am sure you will have researched, we only wandered around the touristy areas, so cannot give you advice on other activities.

Olden and Bergen both have hop on hop off buses and are both easy to walk around. In Olden there is also a little train ride which goes from the port it takes just over 1 hour and you stop twice to take photos and then stops again at a couple of shops, then there is a 5 minute walk back to the ship. Bergen is nice and easy to walk around.

I can't remember the exact amount but it was in the region of a couple of hundred pounds for her to join us.

I'll be sure to write a review of how it goes for you! Enjoy your cruise. I'll wave to you as we crossover!

Interesting. I guess it's inevitable they would charge something but always wondered how they would work out fares for the extremely young.

We went last August with our 15 month old grandson and he loved every minute, especially the attention he got from the MDR waiters as well as the other passengers, he became quite a show off.

We did not do any organised shore excursions, but the ports you are visiting are all reasonably accessible for a buggy, Olden does not have much except wonderful scenery, although there is now the Loen sky lift fairly close by and I believe there is a bus runs from Olden.

The other 3 have more attractions which I am sure you will have researched, we only wandered around the touristy areas, so cannot give you advice on other activities.

Thank you. Our little lady loves eating out and being amongst people so I expect she will be the same.

Olden and Bergen both have hop on hop off buses and are both easy to walk around. In Olden there is also a little train ride which goes from the port it takes just over 1 hour and you stop twice to take photos and then stops again at a couple of shops, then there is a 5 minute walk back to the ship. Bergen is nice and easy to walk around.

Excellent, thank you. The train in Olden sounds perfect!

Hi we did a fjords cruise last May with our daughter who had just turned 2.

Stavenger has a petroleum museum which is more interesting than it sounds. Our little one loved playing with the giant Lego and they had exhibits you could go inside like a submersible and lots of models you could look at.

We took lots of pound shop cars, colouring books and crayons and also found taking snacks and juice cartons she was used to having at home a real help for between meals and when we were off the ship.

Also lots of tv programmes loaded onto my kindle.

We had a great time, hope you do too x

As you are probably finding out small children get bored quickly, but they don't need much to keep them entertained.

A small rucksack type bag with a few small toys, pieces of lego, paper, pencils etc. Will more than satisfy them.

Our daughter was just over 2 on our first cruise. She doesn't remember any of it, but as we know 2 year olds throw tantrums.

Ours was on the main street of Lisbon, she refused to do anything and simply cried while lying on the ground. Two Portuguese police on Segways simply looked on with a wry smile.

I have the video ready for her 18th birthday!

Fjords are quite easy, our daughter walked on a glacier on the Olden stop, unfortunately the glacier is now half way back up the mountain so its no longer possible.

Pricing for young children depends on the cruise. We went Cunard last winter and paid nothing for our then 10 month old. We are booked on P&O this winter and he's costing £99 for 12 nights.

Celebrity and Royal Caribbean charge several hundred pounds for a child of his age which is bonkers.

When we went last year, we took a travel cot (although available on board) and his sleepyhead and he slept pretty well.

Don't forget the night nursery - subject to availability, you can drop children up to two off from 7pm and collect by 11pm and they can sleep there while you have dinner and drinks. Free of charge.

Toys are the challenge - we just took a carrier bag of stuff last time but not sure how to keep him amused now he's older for that long!

Pricing for young children depends on the cruise. We went Cunard last winter and paid nothing for our then 10 month old. We are booked on P&O this winter and he's costing £99 for 12 nights.

Celebrity and Royal Caribbean charge several hundred pounds for a child of his age which is bonkers.

When we went last year, we took a travel cot (although available on board) and his sleepyhead and he slept pretty well.

Don't forget the night nursery - subject to availability, you can drop children up to two off from 7pm and collect by 11pm and they can sleep there while you have dinner and drinks. Free of charge.

Toys are the challenge - we just took a carrier bag of stuff last time but not sure how to keep him amused now he's older for that long!

Interesting. It's a bit disconcerting that they don't actually openly publish these fares.