Celebrity Life Talks?

mamamzee

I think they offer these on all the cruises.

On our Infinity Alaska cruise there is a resident Beyond the Podium Speaker, Mickey Live. He was fantastic. Had an info show most mornings at 10 in the theater and talked about the areas and wildlife we would see and what to look for. He also hosted Sunrise with Mickey several mornings when he knew we were in a good spot to see whales or dolphins. This happened int eh Constellation Lounge. He encouraged us to share some photos we took on board or off to add to the Snapshot Rally show he does on the last day and then you get the CD of all the photos taken.

There was also a women who gave enrichment lectures, but we did not find her very engaging, so we only went to her first talk. They did also have art history lectures by another person as well. All these extras is what makes Celebrity special for us.

The program is called Beyond the Podium. Whether there will be a speaker on a 7 day cruise varies by itinerary. Most likely will not have a speaker if your cruise is highly port intensive.

We had beyond the podium on Alaska Celebrity Millennium sailing last week. The guy had talks with titles as being about Alaska but for most of the hour or so were either jokes and funny pictures (that were most hilarious to him) or science but not directly put in terms of being related to Alaska. Basically he was attempting to be more a comedian or Bill Nye than the on board expert. I learned more from a couple of hours of reading books on Alaska than from the couple of hours of his talks. Mileage varies.

If you want these, and my wife especially likes them, go on Princess. On a recent Equinox cruise there were none that I could see. We got invited to one because we were a Concierge, went, then it turned out it was just a port description. We went to another that sounded like an educational lecture on iPhone photos, and it turned out costing $10/person. We left. It looked like a total of 2 people were attending, maybe one was the teacher.

In our past several Celebrity cruises we have had a good variety of speakers. They included a highly accomplished woman oceanographer who even led submarine tours in port, a fascinating woman crime fiction writer who attracted a full crowd at each of her talks, a man who was a stand up comedian and talked about the history of stand up comedy, and the skills needed.

In May we had a journalist who specialized in astronomy. He also would have star gazing sessions some nights of the cruise. That was so fun and informative. We had a physics expert who had a full house each speech. He talked about Einstein's General Theory of Relativity and Hawkings' Quantum Physics. I understood some of what he was saying, but he made it all very interesting.

One speaker, once I realized what her specialty was, I sneaked out. Her specialty was being able to tell a person's personality by the mark their kiss makes on paper. That's just not my kind of thing, but she did have some interested followers.

I agree that the speakers can be hit or miss, but most of the time I do enjoy them and look forward each cruise to find out who the speakers will be.