New to cruisin!

I am totally lost. We are planning on a 2007 cruise to the Panama Canal and have no idea what to expect. My friend told me I should try RCCL. The Brillance of the Sea sails there, I am told. What room should I reserve? I have to atleast have a window in my room...it's for 10+ days! My boyfried says it doesn't matter..I would love a balcony but can't afford it. Is that ok? This is for my honeymoon? When you book a room and a flight, do they include a hotel room the night before sailing, if I am flying in from Oregon? Do they get me to the dock, or do I have to figure that out also? Wow, this is alot to do? You know , any help would help me alot? Are there cabins I should stay away from? I would really like to surprise my boyfriend with the best! Thanks, Sunshine (everyday)!:)

These are the only sailings available to book on Brilliance of the Seas as of now for 2007, so if your HoneyMoon is after this you are going to have to wait until February or March 2006 to book once the rest of 2007 is available to book.

Jan 2, 12, 22 Feb 2 , 12 , 23, Mar 5, 16, 26 Apr 6,16

Just keep reading and asking questions on this board and you should be fine by then booking everything yourself. It's really not that hard to do everything yourself. What's in your favor is you have alot of time to learn before your big trip.

Jimbo:)

You're gonna love cruising!! It only takes one to get hooked (believe me I know!). Just take your time, it seems that booking thru RCCL might be easier, but if you check around you can get same rate from TA or online site (just be careful!). I was able to get same rate as RCCL was quoting but got my travel insurance paid for and a weekend getaway as a bonus. Figure saved me at least $175 to $200. Try *****.com when you've figured out when and which ship. As to cabin type, that's personal. Some will say "Only ocean view" other will say "never ocean or balcony". Our first cruise was oceanview, and I loved it. However, after careful evaluation, DH and I realized that we really only slept, showered and dressed in our cabin - rest of time was in public areas or on excursions. With this in mind, we've booked next cruise as an inside - it's a 9-nighter. We'll see.:p Inside cabins are less expensive and you can use the money for excursions, drinks or gambling (whichever vice is yours!). Relax and enjoy all the planning!

We did the 10 night Panama Canal cruise on the Brilliance of the Seas last year and loved it. I've always felt that you should get the best cabin your budget will allow, and of course only you can know how much that is. If you would like a balcony cabin, there are some E3 cabins on deck 7 right on the hump that have oversized balconys. They are priced about $200 above the best oceanview/non-balcony cabins.

You'll probably get a lot of opinions on this board about both types of cabins, but it boils down to what you think is best for you. It is also a good idea to find a reputable Travel Agent who is experienced in cruises, and take advantage of her/his knowledge.

Good thing is, that you have plenty of time to plan everything.

We took a Panama Canal Cruise back in 2002 and loved it. We prefer an outside room, but to be honest about it, you wouldn't be in there for the canal transit anyway. You want to be up on one of the upper decks so you can look around on both sides. We got up early and were one of the first ones on deck, so we got to be right up front where we had a great view. Ours was only a parial transit, in other words we went through the locks on the Atlantic side into Gatun Lake, anchored there for a few hours, and then returned the same way. We have some pictures of that cruise at www.picturetrail.com/mikefast2 Scroll down until you get to Panama Canal Cruise. The rest of the pictures are of some of the other places we have been. We went on the Sun Princess out of Ft. Lauderdale. You would love it, and one cruise and you will be hooked.

200601291700_13.gif

If you want to do the Panama Canal then do NOT do a partial transit... Do the FULL transit! With the partial you only go through one set of locks, go into the lake, turn around and come back out. With the FULL transit you go through all 3 sets of locks, the Gaillard cut and really get to SEE and experience the Canal. I've done both, and the partial was a joke, you don't see much of the canal at all.

Cruise line air will ensure that you get to and from airport to ship to airport on their buses. As for hotel the night before you should request this when first booking or it will cost you even more. Most people here will tell you that booking air and hotel on your own is far cheaper then cruise line. Getting to and from ship is very easy, ask here for advise whenever you wish.

Congrats on the honeymoon.

I would definitely book my own air AND hotel. They will not automatically fly you in the day before and book you into a hotel the night before, you have to tell them you want to do that - AND TRUST ME YOU DO!

NEVER fly in on the day of the cruise, the ship will NOT wait for you if you're late. ALWAYS fly in at least a day before your cruise, and book your own flights. In most cases it's cheaper to do so, but even if it isn't, it's better to do so yourself because cruiselines book their flights about 30-45 days before the cruise, no matter how far in advance you book the cruise, and they take whatever is left and cheapest. You frequently get very strange connections at very odd times.

The best advise for you though is, as stated above - GET A Travel Agent! And I would add, get one that specializes in CRUISES. See if there's a good cruise only agency in your area.

Archived