Yet another tipping question/discussion

gingersvp

I am finalizing my cash requirements for our cruise next week. I decided to ask this question in the Alaska ports of call forum, because tipping can really vary by destination. Family of 5 (3 kids, 2 adults) Here's what we have going on, and I'd like to see what you all have to say:

1. We are doing a helicopter dog sledding tour. We booked directly with them and not through the cruise line. I wouldn't think it customary to tip the helicopter pilot, but don't want to stiff him if it is. What about the dog mushers? If you've done this, what did you tip and why?

2. Private tour: We have a 3 hour private tour in Ketchikan. By private I mean it's a singular guide who we are paying directly in cash. Is a tip expected on top of it since it's all going directly to him? I know if I feel he goes above and beyond that it's certainly within our realm of possibilities, but still ask the question - for those of you that have done this, what did you tip and why?

3. I'm doing a zipline tour with my two oldest boys. I have zipped in the Smokies and we didn't tip. Is it customary to tip the zip guides? (Were we inadvertent *******s?)

4. We only purchased round trip train tickets directly through the train line at Skagway. Not sure there's really anyone here to tip?

There are people to tip everywhere.

Absolutely your helicopter pilot who is also your guide is expecting a tip. For 5, likely significant.

The private tour guide will expect a tip; even more since it is private. Doesn't matter if he is the owner.

Zipline guides, yes. Tip. There will be multiple guides but they will split up the tips at the end of the day. Don't worry about splitting it up yourself.

The train will have a guide onboard, right? If there is anyone on the car telling you things or getting your drinks or snacks, then tip. If there isn't a guide on your car and the audio is over speakers, then you might escape on this one.

There are people to tip everywhere.

Absolutely your helicopter pilot who is also your guide is expecting a tip. For 5, likely significant.

The private tour guide will expect a tip; even more since it is private. Doesn't matter if he is the owner.

Zipline guides, yes. Tip. There will be multiple guides but they will split up the tips at the end of the day. Don't worry about splitting it up yourself.

The train will have a guide onboard, right? If there is anyone on the car telling you things or getting your drinks or snacks, then tip. If there isn't a guide on your car and the audio is over speakers, then you might escape on this one.

Thanks! Not really trying to "escape" any tips, but wanting to be sure we're handling things right. I have seen quite a bit online about helicopter pilots not necessarily expecting them because they're paid differently than say a bus tour guide. The pilot isn't necessarily our guide, just getting is out to the glacier where the dog sledding happens. Obviously if he were to act more of a guide that would be different but I think it's only a 15 minute flight.