potential newbie w/ a concern

grobbins

Help us out here. We have cruised 2x on Carnival, 3x Celebrity and 1x on Princess, (in that order). We have had a great cruise experience with all three lines. We are looking at RCCL now because we like the itinerary on Serenade. We want to cruise the first week in Feb., one couple,(early 40's), beach bums. One thing that seemed to be a common theme for the RCCL folks we have met up with on the beaches and ports is that there are a lot of unsupervised, rowdy kids on these cruises. We have heard it often enough that we have never looked into RCCL before. It is really the only thing that makes us hesitate. However, the ships and itineraries are luring us. Do we have a legitimate concern? Thanks for your input.

It all comes down to the time of year you go... If you go at the "wrong" time (summer, holiday weeks, spring break) you can have all those problems on all of the lines you've already been on!

The first week of February is not going to be a kid heavy week, don't worry.

The first week of February should be relatively 'kid-free'. However, I believe President's Day is the following week. A lot of kids have off school a day or two that week, which could lead to some of them being on cruises at that time.

I have cruised all of those lines too. And RCL is our favorite. We are now in our 40's and feel best fits our age bracket and likes. I have never had any issues with alot of kids. But it also does depend on what time of year you are going. If you didnt encounter it on Carnival, then you will love RCL. I think Carnival is worse for having groups of kids on them.

Carnival and Royal Caribbean carry similar numbers of kids on their ships, so you'll always experience more kids on those lines. However, you should see less during February than other times. However, a few unruly and unsupervised kids can seem like a lot, and you can encounter that on any cruise and any cruise line, since we can't pick our fellow passengers.

You just need to do some research and determine if there is any reason that school would not be in session the week you want to travel. Large numbers of children are usually found on ships during the summer or during spring break. The rest of the year it should be OK.

Also check that "kids go free". In my RCI brochures (I love looking through the glossy pages and thinking "it will soon be me") it mentions "FREE KIDS PLACES" - however when you look more closely you will see that only applies to certain dates so guess those dates would see a lot more children.

We have sailed in late Jan and early Feb a few times as this is when our anniversary is. There doesn't tend to be as many kids for reasons previously stated. It is true, RCCL and Carnival will have more kids than the other lines, but I think you have chosen well.

Except for Princess, I have sailed (see my signature) on the lines you mentioned. Never had a problem.

In fact, we sailed with 42 family members Thanksgiving of 2003. Obviously that is a school break and a couple days out the Captain announced that there were about 500 children on the ship (5 night, Enchantment of the Seas, pre-stretch!) My husband and I were shocked because we NEVER would have guessed that there were anywhere near that many. It was a great cruise.

Our children are grown, so we tend to like things on the quieter side now. No, actually, I need to clarify that: we actually don't like things to be too quiet/boring, we just prefer not to spend lots of time in the chaos that kids joyfully create!! That said, we have never encountered any real problems with "overly joyful" kids aboard any ship. We have enjoyed the wide variety of people aboard ship.

I hope you will give Royal Caribbean a try. Variety is the spice in life!

Thanks so much for all of your input and feedback. I don't know how we cruised before cruise critic. I think we are going to look at a couple of other RCCL itineraries for that same week and then make our decision. We are also looking at a Western itinerary on Princess. We've never been to any western ports. I'm sure I'll be back with other questions.

We always cruise during school vacation week, the end of February for our town. (OK, three times so far and our fourth is coming up.) We have never seen unruly kids nor had any problem with kids, unruly or otherwise.

Good luck deciding.

Thanks so much for all of your input and feedback. I don't know how we cruised before cruise critic. I think we are going to look at a couple of other RCCL itineraries for that same week and then make our decision. We are also looking at a Western itinerary on Princess. We've never been to any western ports. I'm sure I'll be back with other questions.

Help us out here. We have cruised 2x on Carnival, 3x Celebrity and 1x on Princess, (in that order). We have had a great cruise experience with all three lines. We are looking at RCCL now because we like the itinerary on Serenade. We want to cruise the first week in Feb., one couple,(early 40's), beach bums. One thing that seemed to be a common theme for the RCCL folks we have met up with on the beaches and ports is that there are a lot of unsupervised, rowdy kids on these cruises. We have heard it often enough that we have never looked into RCCL before. It is really the only thing that makes us hesitate. However, the ships and itineraries are luring us. Do we have a legitimate concern? Thanks for your input.

Not reading all the replys I am probably repeating what has been said: early Feb, no, not many kids. I don't know when you cruised Carnival but there would be just as many, if not more kids on a Carnival cruise. NMnita

One thing that seemed to be a common theme for the RCCL folks we have met up with on the beaches and ports is that there are a lot of unsupervised, rowdy kids on these cruises. We have heard it often enough that we have never looked into RCCL before. It is really the only thing that makes us hesitate. However, the ships and itineraries are luring us. Do we have a legitimate concern? Thanks for your input.

We never, ever had a problem with "unsupervised, rowdy kids" However, please be aware of unruly adults:rolleyes:

Archived