Help with cruise line choice for family ann. trip (70s, 40s & 10 yr olds) Summer 2018

Returntocruising16

We are thinking of an Alaskan cruise Summer 2018 to celebrate my parent's 50th wedding anniversary. Our party would be two people in their 70s, two in their 40s and a 10-year-old.

What major cruise line and ship would you recommend for a multi-generational cruise? Also, what is the newest, most recently updated cruise ship to cruise in Alaska?

All of us have sailed on Serenade of the Seas previously (back in the earlier 2000s) and that is our favorite ship for the windows, light and open space. We have only sailed RCI previously (4 cruises total) and haven't cruised since 2006.

From the reviews, it sounds like Radiance of the Seas needs refurbishment and generally, the RCI cruise line is going downhill. It seems most of the resources have gone to the huge ships and not much invested in the medium ships, which I get from a business sense.

My other concern is my 10-year-old and wanting a ship that has plenty of kid activities and hopefully, an indoor pool on nasty days. Has anyone who sailed on the RCI this year experienced them opening the indoor solarium to kids on nasty/cold weather days on Alaska cruises? I read old threads from 2012 where they did this for a limited time, but did not see where there was any info on this in more recent years.

We loved the entertainment on RCI ships, but reviews seem to indicate most of the entertainment has gone to the newer, huge ships. Is this true?

I would greatly appreciate any assistance on this!

Thanks!

We loved the entertainment on RCI ships, but reviews seem to indicate most of the entertainment has gone to the newer, huge ships. Is this true?

Thanks!

Since RCI doesn't go to Glacier Bay, you will only get recommendations for choosing that line from Loyal Royals. (Or by people who won't mind if you miss glacier Viewing - just recently one ship was neither able to access Tracy Arm or Endicott Arm.)

I've been on RCI & Carnival many times & like both of their products, but when I chose an itinerary form Alaska, neither one of those brands landed on my list.

You may want to do some research on Alaska & chose based on what you want to do - not on the ship or brand...

I just returned a couple of days ago with out group of 70's, 50's, 40's and 13 yr olds. We sailed Carnival - mainly because it offers a good value price, and everyone was a first time cruiser except myself (12 cruises), hubby and 13 yr old. The Carnival Legends is an older ship and shows it in some ways, however I loved it's layout over other Carnival ships. There was A LOT of open areas with seating near windows to view the sights. The 13 yr old enjoyed there being kids on board - quite a few, but not as many as normally in Caribbean. Carnival tends to be more Family w/ kids oriented, but this sailing skewed much older than Carnival's normal demographic. Very different vibe that when in Caribbean, more sedate and less partying, but still LOTS of fun. Our itinerary included Glacier Bay, which was BEAUTIFUL!!

Princess is excellent in Alaska, just not as much for kids. NCL might be another good choice, they just aren't my favorite cruise line.

I HAVE sailed the Radiance several times in Alaska and just don't see the so called complaints. Having a LOT of experience with Alaska cruising (around 60), I find this a great itinerary. Especially nice if you add time for mainland Alaska. But I will warn you, there have been big changes since you last sailed on all the lines, cost saving measures are more in place.

Do not expect a lot of "kids activities", but the solarium pool is a nice feature of RCI.

I'd suggest being OPEN to finding out about Alaska and what you want out of your trip. Don't shoot yourself in the foot, by "dismissing" cruises for insignificant reasons, that others claim when it could be the perfect choice for you.

Since RCI doesn't go to Glacier Bay, you will only get recommendations for choosing that line from Loyal Royals. (Or by people who won't mind if you miss glacier Viewing - just recently one ship was neither able to access Tracy Arm or Endicott Arm.)

Really??? Have you even been to Hubbard? If I recall correctly, you have been on one cruise to Alaska? I've had several sailings of Glacier Bay that were NOT stellar, or what I would consider "good" viewing. I find your slant, of it being the ONLY worthwhile, option for glaciers, a disservice.

Been to Alaska years ago on Carnival Spirit still the wives favorite out of approx. 12 Carnival sailings. Live in Az so excited to find a round trip itinerary 14 days out of Long Beach Ca next August 25,2018. Fare per person when I booked last week approx. $1400 for a interior room (don't spend much time in the room anyway) Seems somewhat pricey but it's a 2 week itinerary so only approx. $700 per week hard to find a better price for a roundtrip itinerary with so many ports included.