Anywhere to eat close to Mayflower?

Presto2

Sorry to ask the same question we asked a while back, but we have been given our embarkation documents now and are very surprised to discover that we are embarking at Mayflower (Berth 106) and disembarking at the Ocean Terminal. (No problem as the car is at the Holiday Inn with a taxi transfer included). The time given is 3pm (knew that was coming and better than the 4pm last time!)

It has throw our plans though as we were hoping to drop the cases off and then walk into town to a nice pub. Mayflower doesn't particularly make us jump up and down as it seems further out and on that horrible built up dual carriageway in that industrial area. We wanted to go to the Red Dragon (seems quaint and historic)... it seems a longer but not very pleasant walk now though.

From your past experience folks, are we better checking out later and asking the hotel to leave the cases and then getting our taxi transfer later? I think we will aim for 2pm - 2.30pm. Will the hotel keep our cases do you think? We have e-mailed them but no response as yet.

Thanks again - getting excited now :)

It is further out but if you are at the Holiday Inn Herbert Walker Avenue you can drive through dock gate 8 and avoid the dual carriageway. Similarly you can walk back again, its not a huge distance. I have a picture taken from the HI if that would help.

It is further out but if you are at the Holiday Inn Herbert Walker Avenue you can drive through dock gate 8 and avoid the dual carriageway. Similarly you can walk back again, its not a huge distance. I have a picture taken from the HI if that would help.

That would be really helpful :-)

PS Just noticed you are off on Oceana soon - lucky person ;-)

Yes, cant wait for Oceana, love the ship and the itinerary is perfect.:)

I have put a link to the picture as its in full HD and would swamp the forum, dock gate 8 is the bottom left and Ventura is at Mayflower terminal. If you zoom in it doesn't look so far, it looks further than it is (imo).

Picture is here

That's great thanks. We should be able to walk that weather permitting.....

Sent from my SM-G935F using Forums mobile app

I certainly would not want to walk that distance, I know you dogleg a bit on the road but its over a mile from the gate 10 entrance to Mayflower and almost a mile from there back to the Holiday Inn, that picture considerably forshortens the distance.

I certainly would not want to walk that distance, I know you dogleg a bit on the road but its over a mile from the gate 10 entrance to Mayflower and almost a mile from there back to the Holiday Inn, that picture considerably forshortens the distance.

Agree fully.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Forums mobile app

I'd get lunch then get your free transfer to the terminal, if the hotel can store the cases.

I have never heard of the Red Dragon, by the way; do you mean Red Lion? If so, it doesn't really have a reputation for food. You could try the Duke of Wellington if you like old fashioned pubs with home cooked, traditional style food. It's closer to your hotel. You also have The Pig in the Wall, The Dancing Man, and The Platform, which are all closer and trendier, but I'm not sure how much of a menu they offer.

I'd get lunch then get your free transfer to the terminal, if the hotel can store the cases.

I have never heard of the Red Dragon, by the way; do you mean Red Lion? If so, it doesn't really have a reputation for food. You could try the Duke of Wellington if you like old fashioned pubs with home cooked, traditional style food. It's closer to your hotel. You also have The Pig in the Wall, The Dancing Man, and The Platform, which are all closer and trendier, but I'm not sure how much of a menu they offer.

Thanks, that's really helpful :-) Will check out all of these pubs now. Keeps me quiet apparently !

PS Yes, I got my dragons and lions mixed up ---- parents lived in Wales ;-)

Enjoy. I should say, if you are aware of and like your history, then the main bar of the Red Lion is worth a quick look. It does look old and (as you probably know) is supposedly the very room in which Henry V set up a temporary court before heading off to Agincourt.

John is right about the walk distance too; it's just under a mile from hotel to mayflower terminal. You can have a look on google maps.

Edited by Saintston

Enjoy. I should say, if you are aware of and like your history, then the main bar of the Red Lion is worth a quick look. It does look old and (as you probably know) is supposedly the very room in which Henry V set up a temporary court before heading off to Agincourt.

John is right about the walk distance too; it's just under a mile from hotel to mayflower terminal. You can have a look on google maps.

Thanks for that - just love to 'touch' history so we have a number of pubs to look at now! Have to say, the whole idea of eating at the Red Lion appeals to us and we have also been looking at the Duke of Wellington now.

Re the walk to the Mayflower - to be honest, we are more than happy to walk a mile / able to walk a mile if needs be and the weather is fine. We are arriving in Southampton on the Sunday afternoon before we sail on the Tuesday, so we will be more than happy to just walk the docks and soak up the atmosphere!

Still waiting for the hotel to get back to us but we now have 2 options.

Thanks for the help everyone.

or book a Royal Caribbean or Celebrity cruise and walk easily to the ship positioned in the foreground and arrive any time from 10.30 onwards. 20 mins later, your onboard and your holiday commences. [emoji16]

Seriously though, that's a fare walk and I wouldn't tackle it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

or book a Royal Caribbean or Celebrity cruise and walk easily to the ship positioned in the foreground and arrive any time from 10.30 onwards. 20 mins later, your onboard and your holiday commences. [emoji16]

Google maps says its only 1.3 miles,but I reckon they have got that wrong, expecially as it routes you the way that you drive.

We were recently on the Azura from Mayflower and back into Ocean terminal.

We were given a boarding time of 3.30pm. We got to the terminal around 1.10pm as travelling some distance we didn't want to risk being late - as had almost happened to us before due to an accident on the way that closed the road. We were expecting and happy to wait until our given boarding time.

I was surprised when we got there that there were lots of empty chairs and we settled ourselves in only to be called up around 10 - 15 minutes later. We are on board at 1.50pm and our cabin was ready. Wonderful.

It doesn't seem as though they are sticking to the set boarding times on every cruise. Just a thought.

Have a great cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Have done IOS once from the City Terminal for Half term and though we enjoyed it we wouldn't try again mid school holidays ;-) Re Celebrity - that's a fly cruise next August :-)

Not too worried if it is a mile as long as it is decent weather ...... still able to do it ;-)

May regret saying that though, as not that young !!!

We were recently on the Azura from Mayflower and back into Ocean terminal.

We were given a boarding time of 3.30pm. We got to the terminal around 1.10pm as travelling some distance we didn't want to risk being late - as had almost happened to us before due to an accident on the way that closed the road. We were expecting and happy to wait until our given boarding time.

I was surprised when we got there that there were lots of empty chairs and we settled ourselves in only to be called up around 10 - 15 minutes later. We are on board at 1.50pm and our cabin was ready. Wonderful.

It doesn't seem as though they are sticking to the set boarding times on every cruise. Just a thought.

Have a great cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This made me smile - a whole other thread here .... don't get me started on this one :D;)

We are even more confused now. Have checked with the Southampton Port site and it says that Ventura is arriving at the Ocean Terminal and leaving from there that day. Glad we are at the HI - we can just watch her sail in and see where she docks before we make our plans :confused::rolleyes:

I stayed at the Holiday Inn a couple of weeks ago, using their parking & transfer service. Yes, they will keep your luggage for you and you can choose the time to book your taxi. If you are on Oceana, I would agree that you book the taxi for say 2.00pm. As you probably already know, it is a relatively short walk to the Red Lion from the Holiday Inn.

I don't think I would eat at the Red Lion, having been there many times its a bit "spit and sawdust" though the history is interesting. Walk a bit further up the high street and go to The Standing Order (Wetherspoons, it used to be a bank hence the name). The food is good and cheap.

I have to confess that all this fuss over where to have lunch pre cruise, after staying in a local hotel, makes me smile. We tend to have breakfast fairly late and never feel the need to bother with lunch as we normally have an early dinner, and if on second sitting then afternoon tea would be more than adequate.

I have to confess that all this fuss over where to have lunch pre cruise, after staying in a local hotel, makes me smile. We tend to have breakfast fairly late and never feel the need to bother with lunch as we normally have an early dinner, and if on second sitting then afternoon tea would be more than adequate.

If you read back we just want to kill some time as our embarkation is very late having been in Southampton for a day or more anyway. Don't want to be traipsing around Southampton. We are trying to be very good and stick to our times - personally we would prefer to be on the ship, but that's another thread and a very long one!

As for meals - on the first night we tend to avoid the MDR as it is always chaos so will use the buffet quite late that evening before we open the bubbly and celebrate :-)

Edited by Presto2